Now we know why Panic blocked Prompt for iOS on the Mac (even though we were using it)

Introducing Prompt 3… your new $100 SSH app for iOS and MacOS (or you can pay $20/year)… It seems like the target audience for this app would already have their preferred way of doing this for free…

I cannot wait to see what they do to Transmit 6… $200? We are already a couple of years past the death of Transmit for iOS (mine still works though) so I am sure it is coming. I have paid them three times for apps that they “discontinued”. Not sure Prompt is long for this world on macOS…

2 Likes

Strange days in the software dev landscape. $100 SSH apps, Terminals that require a login. Maybe AI should take over.

A 5x one-time/subscription ratio is pretty high. 2.5-3x is more normal. You could also say the subscription is the better deal. :innocent:

I’m glad to see a Mac app because that adds another reason for them to keep working on text rendering performance. It benefits more than Nova.

Panic has lost their damn minds if they think I’m going to pay $100 for what comes on the Mac for free.

1 Like

They seem to do pretty good business selling Nova for $100 even though TextEdit comes on the Mac for free

From their website, talking about how you get iOS and macOS for your one payment:

We give you two apps for the price of one!

Um…

1 Like

I don’t know how Panic is doing financially but their foray into hardware a couple of years ago coincides with their decisions to shut down their apps and raise prices for the remaining ones. Doing hardware is expensive and risky.

Good one, good one… felt the zinger from here.

Fantastic icon though. Love that.

I think the average user would be able to clearly articulate the difference between Nova and TextEdit though.

I feel like with Prompt they may have made an app that’s so niche that they couldn’t sell it for any less. The market for high-end terminal emulators almost has to be pretty small, and they have to get their money where they can.

It’s an interesting strategy not letting people just get the iOS version. I’d happily pay $20 for a good iOS app, but not $100.

2 Likes

not sure if serious…:smiley:

I don’t know anyone who uses Nova and I have never seen their janky handheld in the wild either…

I downloaded it.
It forces you to go to their website to download some “helper” app for local terminal… Lets just say that after a couple of minutes, I still could not “just open a terminal window on the mac” with it… weird. I uninstalled.

In the recent StackExchange survey, Nova has a 0.25% market share, about half of BBedit’s. It has one of the biggest gaps between potential use and actual use (their methodology essentially asks what you hope you’ll have had a chance to use a year from now and calls it admired. Actual use is desired.)

I’m guessing Prompt 3 will gain a similarly small percentage. That’s okay. The global market for these tools is enormous and Panic is a small company.

1 Like

Nova is my preferred code editor, though lately I’ve been using VS Code more just because that’s what everyone else at my job uses.

I did the evaluation period of Nova, and I liked it for the most part. I was playing with Git on it though, and I couldn’t figure out how to resolve merge conflicts. Do you know if that’s actually possible? I couldn’t figure it out, so I went to VSCode with a terminal window below where I could do command-line git.

For $100 I basically need it to be a complete dev environment, including git.

Purchased Prompt 2 in the past, but it turns out that I like/use Blink Shell more.

Nevertheless gave Prompt 3 a try yesterday. Could not see any major differences with version 2, except that it runs on my (Intel) Mac as well, but for that iTerm 2 works just fine. What did I miss?

I could open a local terminal on my Mac in Prompt 3 (after running that helper App), but it always loads the system’s /bin/zsh instead of the more recent/capable Homebrew version in /usr/local//bin/zsh, which makes it unusable for me. I could not find a way to configure the shell for such a terminal.

PS: Also bought a Nova license for 1 year, but it never stuck with me. Normally I’d rather use native Apps than Electron Apps, but Visual Studio Code works so much better for me that I did not renew Nova.

I would really hope that would be an option somewhere in the settings.

I use Tower and Kaleidoscope for git and merging, so I can’t really help you there (though they are additional examples of excellent for-pay development apps that I think are worth it over the free alternatives).

Nova’s conflict diff tool is the side-by-side comparison tool that you can show/hide in View. You can set it to automatically open two panes when a merge conflict exists. I don’t think it has a three pane diff view; it should. Edit: the conflict resolution tools in the footer work with this view, too. So tiny.

Have you changed $SHELL for your login shell (the one you use when you open Terminal) to brew’s zsh? Nova picks that up.

In which file/application should I do that?

(It needs to be set somewhere before zsh starts?)