OBD code reader

Looking for an OBD error code reader for my vehicle. Ideally with an iOS app.

Are you in the United States? People seem to like the Automatic reader (https://automatic.com).

There are plenty of other less expensive options out there that will connect with OBD companion apps on iOS but I don’t know the names of them – they’re somewhat a dime a dozen. If you don’t want the fancy-pants insights and tracking that the Automatic offers, one of the more generic OBD readers with Bluetooth may work.

Yes, I’m in the US.
Since they are a dime a dozen, I was looking for suggestions of some that work well.

1 Like

For what year and model?

‘04 Nissan Quest

Thanks

1 Like

I have an Automatic…bought it after hearing about it on MPU. It works great, but is more than just a diagnostic reader if that is all you need.

1 Like

These things come in two flavors: the dime-a-dozen flavor, and the really expensive professional flavor.

Since your vehicle isn’t new, I think you can probably get by with one of the d-a-d models, using the internet to help you interpret the code. Even if you need to read SRS (airbag) codes.

I bought mine at a pawn shop for less than $100 and it reads SRS codes. Craigslist is another option.

Some vehicles need a adapter to plug into the “standard” OBDII plug that most readers are equipped with; I can’t tell if your car needs one.

1 Like

I use a Carista adapter and the associated app. In addition to diagnostics it allows you to set various parameters on how the car operates. A few things I have customized are the door locks so all doors unlock when I unlock the drivers door, the automatic lights come on sooner, and how the interior lights come on. This requires the pro version of the app which costs $40 per year but can be used on friends and family cars too. Adapter was about $35.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies everyone. I appreciate the work you put into your answers.
My previous reply was a bit terse - to elaborate, when the hardware such as these devices becomes a commodity, probably using the same chipsets, the defining difference then becomes the apps that are provided and their functionality.

Thanks again.

1 Like

I wound up going with a Fixd unit. The app is pretty good. My dash is partially out, so the app displays fuel level. Unfortunately it doesn’t have an odometer function.
But the point, it let me know a couple of things wrong with the engine that my mechanic had had trouble getting it to do.
Thanks again.

1 Like