Okay, am I the only one who can't see a diff w ProMotion on the iPhone 13?

I grabbed the iPhone 13 Pro Max. And I don’t think I can see the ProMotion difference. The scrolling looks fine, but I’m not sure I see a difference from my 12 Pro Max?

I checked and the Accessibility switch for limit ti 60hz is off. What am I missing?

P.S. I’ve had Reduce Motion on for a few years if that matters.

You can see the difference on this page if you turn on Limit Frame Rate and scroll up and down, and then scroll back. The text is easier to read while moving with Limit Frame Rate off.

If little things like that don’t excite you, I guess you still have the longer battery life from when frame rate drops below 60. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Okay, thanks. I still have the old phone so I can see side-by-side. I think I see a difference. I’ve been doing all of my comparisons so far scrolling in Safari.

Third-party apps will have to be updated in order to take advantage of ProMotion on the iPhone.

1 Like

Well, if you mean you can’t see a meaningful difference, I’m in the same boat. But if you mean you literally can’t see one, we’re in different boats. I’m in the “Well, I see it, but it’s minuscule, and in no way I can discern an improvement to my user experience”, boat.

1 Like

I’ve never been able to see the difference on my iPad(s).

1 Like

I cannot seem to notice it either. Like every other iPhone, it seems fluid and fast. If I have to do a side by side comparison to see the difference then I feel it’s not that big of a deal anyway…. That’s just my view.

1 Like

I’ll add that I also cannot see any difference between the LED and LCD phone displays, so I may not be a good reference point :slight_smile:

But, whether or not there’s any visible (to me) difference to the display rate, I’m glad that the feature is there and that the rate can be lowered when possible so as to prolong the battery life.

1 Like

I also realized that I was looking at my phone in low-power mode which I suspect kills anything about 60.

But honestly I’m more excited about the battery savings from slowing it down when possible than speeding it up. :slight_smile:

Heh, I was just thinking about asking if you were noticing the difference more now. I didn’t realize low power mode caps at 60hz—makes sense. I’m continuing to find ProMotion to be noticeably easier on my eyes than 60hz text scrolling.

1 Like

Do you think it has more to do with the lack of PWM?

No, but I know what you’re talking about. I believe the 13 has 480hz modulation which is supposedly better for those who suffer from headaches when viewing modulated screens. I’m just looking at my ability to easily read text while it’s moving, like you’d do naturally with a book adjusting in your hands.

1 Like