Ommwriter and Ommbits

I was just reading about Jeff Goins’ writing process.
He writes using Text Edit, or Ommwriter, which I’ve never heard of. Ommwriter is an interesting distraction-free writing environment with natural backgrounds, audio tracks, and keyclick sounds. Looks inviting to me :slightly_smiling_face:
There is also Ommbits, billed as an instant teleport to a distraction free short-form writing environment.
Both are price as you like, minimum $7 for Ommwriter, and $1 for Ommbits.
Cross-platform, macOS and Windows.

Ommwriter is a real love it or hate it piece of software. I am pretty solidly in the love camp. It comes with loads of restrictions functionality-wise, but is truly immersive and is quite thoughtful in its soundscape. The music stops and starts over if you switch windows, so it’ll keep me from alt-tabbing in ways other apps won’t.

I don’t use it a lot bc of said lack of function, but for freewriting, pomodoros, or hammering out a focused bit on this or that it’s pretty great imo. For some reason Ommbits was buggy for me or didn’t fit my workflow. I can’t remember, but maybe I’ll give it another go.

1 Like

I’ve used Ommwriter off and on for years. It’s pleasant to use, though IA Writer in full screen mode and Apple Music make a more functional combo. Apart from simple design and the in-app music trick, there’s not a lot to recommend about Ommwriter.

1 Like

An alternative is Flowstate (available for MacOS and iOS). It is a really brutal app: if you quit typing for more than a few seconds, it will delete everything you have written (but the text starts fading first, so you have some warning). My author colleagues hated it, when I showed them. But I really like it for certain tasks. It can be quite helpful to force yourself to keep writing instead of thinking too much. You can still edit and delete later. Of course it’s not an app for every writing task.

1 Like

I can’t think of another editor that does this.
I look forward to being in writing mode and giving it a try.

Whoa… that sounds very interesting! Thanks for letting us know about it.

1 Like