Omnifocus 3 automated lists

I’m sorry, I know this information is somewhere but I just can’t seem to find it, so forgive me starting a new topic.

I am currently using a trial version of OF 3 on iOS to see if it will suit my needs. What I’m hoping it will do is this: each month I have to go do my duty with the Army National Guard. Each time I go I need a packing list for the things I bring every time. Would I would like is if I could just tell OF when my duty is and it will create a checklist automatically and I can just tick off each item as I pack it. Is this possible in OmniFocus 3? I have heard ppl talk about “automating tasks in Omnifocus” but I can’t seem to find a way to automate anything.

For instance, another thing I would like it to do is: when I have a new project coming up I just use a template that automatically creates a series of tasks that I have to do with every project and each task is automatically due at a certain point after the project is created. I could swear I’ve heard David talk about this on the show but I am not very good at using OmniFocus.

Thank you for any advice you can give or if you can point me in the right direction.

The easiest way to do this in OmniFocus is probably to use Workflow/Shortcuts. You can write up your list in TaskPaper format and use Workflow to dump it into OmniFocus as a list of tasks.

1 Like

Episode 5 of Automators was all about this. You can find my detailed blog post here:

https://www.rosemaryorchard.com/blog/automators-5-project-templates

And the episode is here:

2 Likes

Thank you, I will try it!

Thank you, I will listen to it. I appreciate your time.

Hi Rosemary, sorry to bug you. In regards to this topic I was viewing your screencast on the Automators YouTube channel on how to make templates using Drafts then moving over it OF. In the tutorial you change keyboards in Drafts to the OF action group by holding on the circle in the keyboard actions. But on iPhone there is no circle to change keyboards and I can’t find a way to edit was is in the little commands above the keyboard.

Any ideas?

If you press and hold the icon on the left of the row above the keyboard you get a pop up list of keyboards to choose from :slight_smile: