OmniFocus 4 has been released

TestFlight 4.0 has come a long way. I think they can pull it off this month.

2 Likes

Why not just follow Omni Group on your favourite social media channel, or pick up their RSS feed.

Itā€™s a small thing, but I have to say it feels good to have the official 4.0 app icon in action now.

2 Likes

TestFlights are more frequent now - and more concentrated on bug fixes. So I think ā€œReal Soon Nowā€ applies.

Iā€™m looking forward to betaā€™ing whatever comes after.

One could do that.
Or one could ask those who know.
A lot more digital noise in one of the options. I choosed the other one. :wink:

Very ready for the new version to drop, and if it dropped just in time for me to fiddle with it once I start vacation next week, Iā€™d be A-OK with that :slight_smile:

1 Like

Omnifocus 3 apps have just been removed from the AppStore. It seems to be moving quicker than I expected.

OmniFocus 4 is released :slight_smile:
I just got an e-mail Iā€™m upgraded for free because I ā€˜recentlyā€™ bought OF for Macā€¦ and I now also have the iOS version with the universal license.

The Omni Group has not updated their website yet. Weird.

I noticed it in the App Storeā€¦ so I assumed it was releasedā€¦ but they probably will have to officially announce it then.

Downloaded it and had a play around. So there were a few things that eventually stopped me using OF3, which I checked out to see if theyā€™d changed.

1. Previously you couldnā€™t just ad-hoc select more than 1 tag at a time. This appears to be fixed, but only on Mac. The iOS version I canā€™t figure out how to do it. However i rarely use the iOS version so that doesnā€™t bother me much.

2. You couldnā€™t resize columns before. This is still the case. You end up with truncated project names despite there being a large blank area at the right of the screen and no way to change it.

However it does handle resizing of text in fluid view better than before.

1. If a project has a tag, then all tasks will always inherit the tag and there doesnā€™t seem to be a way to turn this off. Again, this is still the behaviour and its as frustrating a before.

2. No calendar sync. Still the case.

As great as it would be if OF designed software just for me, sadly they donā€™t, so I donā€™t begrudge them making choices I donā€™t like. But these were my complaints about OF3 and only one of them seems to have changed. So Iā€™m not planning on buying it.

2 Likes

I do not have this issue, but maybe because I do not use the view like you show in your screenshot

I think this is logical behavior, but probably based on a persons workflow. I seldom add tags to Projects, I only use tags for tasks.

Would be nice if it is possible indeed.

Iā€™m having a play with the free trial. First impressions are that it is smoother and faster to use and that makes it a little more intuitive than before. Itā€™s immensely powerful still, with granular control, but there are still strange limitations in building perspectives that always frustrated me. Itā€™s cleaner than it was, but itā€™s still a complex UI and it can be very hard to focus on what you need to. Itā€™s quite hard, whatever perspectives I build, to see immediately whatā€™s on todayā€™s agenda without a lot of other cruft.

The bottom line is that it is costly, complex and feels like using a database and I am not sure I need that power for my current purposes. I will continue the trial but so far I am not convinced.

2 Likes

I think Fluid view is the most commonly used, since its the default. But since they include also include a Column view, I feel like it should work just as well.

On inheritance, a toggle here would be ideal, but in some cases its illogical. For example, I use a tag called ā€œHookā€ to remind me that something is hooked to the item via Hookmarks, whether its a Project or a Task. However new Tasks donā€™t inherit the hook, they only inherit the tag. So it has a Hook tag, but if I open Hookmarks, thereā€™s nothing there. This means I have to manually delete the Hook tag every single time otherwise the tag is meaningless, since half the things tagged with Hook arenā€™t hooked to anything.

They wanted to make sure it was in the App Store ready for release to avoid the delay in approval which is sometimes an irritant

Message from Ken Case on the Omnigroup slack:

The official launch of OmniFocus 4 (with our website updates, blog post, online store updates, etc.) will be at 10am today Seattle (or Cupertino) time (six hours from now). We wanted to make sure the app would be available through the App Store by the time that launch happened, and the App Store can take a while for changes to propagate, so we had to start the process on that side a bit early.

So in 5.5 hours time, the party starts :smiley:

Interestingā€“that makes me wish apps could provide Hookmark with a data hierarchy, which would let Hookmark tell you the ancestor parent or task that is linked. I havenā€™t needed this in OF but I have in other apps with folder or outline structures. Itā€™d have to be a separate keyboard shortcut.

A preference toggle for tag inheritance would be nice, too.

Iā€™m both excited and cautious about OF 4. Iā€™m using OF 3 now because it doesnā€™t require a subscription and it has the ā€œrepeat after completionā€ feature for recurring tasks.

Hopefully that upgrade is a OTP and not a subscription model.

Where did I say anything is being removed? I said I used OF because it had those features. The second Reminders gets ā€œrepeat after completionā€ , Iā€™m switching to it.

My apologies. I have no idea how I mistook the comment. Iā€™m losing my mind.

Use the iOS ā€œtwo finger selectā€ method.

2 Likes