"on this day" notes feature outside of Day One?

Curious if anyone has come across any notes / journaling app that has a “on this day” feature like Day One? I really like seeing notes from this day in previous years. However, I’m not as enamored with Day One anymore–the feature development is going away from things that seem useful for my use (I’m not interested in drawing or recording, more interested in Markdown export, advanced search, timeline views, etc.).

Journey does that.

https://2appstudio.com/journey/

But at a $30/yr subscription (not sure if the $17 Mac app is included or not - I actually think it isn’t) there’s no clear advantage over Day One’s $35/yr subscription

Agenda (https://agenda.com) is based on dates. You can even connect a note with a calendar event. And the app is under constant developement and adds new stuff all the time.

right, but from what I can tell, Agenda can’t show you, for instance, every note from March 1st. Only notes from “last month” or similar. Otherwise, yes, this would be a great choice.

You can filter notes by specific date/s or from a certain period. The search in Agenda is actually quite powerful and you can even save it for future reference.

Please forgive my oversimplification of the desired task. Why not have a TextExpander snippet that allows you to insert the date each time you begin writing on a continuing text file in your text editor of choice. Example:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.

What I’m looking for is a way to quickly see, for example, entries from 3/1/18, 3/1/17, 3/1/16, 3/1/15, etc. I’m not sure how a single text file gets me there.

Yup, it’s a particularly journal-oriented feature, so I wouldn’t expect to see it on more generalized apps. In iOS Day One can show it to you automatically, while on Mac it’s a filter view you can manually invoke.