Opening compressed files on iOS

I ran into an issue today as part of my never ending quest to be able to use my iPad for more things so I won’t have to replace my Mac laptop. I downloaded a .gz file to the files app, but I don’t evidently have a program that can open it. It wanted to open on GoodReader, but the version that I have is old enough that it’s not 64 bit compatible (which shows you how often I use GoodReader). I tried Readdle’s Documents, it will do .zip files but not .gz. Should I just get the current version of GoodReader? Something else? What do folks use for handling compressed files on iOS?

You could try using Workflow! I have one which is cunningly called Unzip.

2 Likes

I think Readdle’s “Documents” app will do that. Or the app “Zipped”.

2 Likes

I use iZip Pro for opening archives. Not the most beautiful app, but I find it works well enough for my use.

1 Like

I should have mentioned this in my original post (and have now edited it to add). I did try Documents; it will open .zip files but not .gz.

Thanks Rose, that opened the file for me.

It seems a bit odd that the Open In action does not give the Files app as a destination (perhaps because I ran the Workflow from an action extension in the Files app?)

You could try replacing the open in action with a save file action which will allow you to save it anywhere you want :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m only seeing options for iCloud, Dropbox, and Box.

If you do iCloud and leave “Ask where to save” on you can choose any document provider :wink:

2 Likes