Optimal iPad Pro size with iPadOS?

I have the first gen iPad 9.7 and 12.9 (yes, 2 iPads and I love them both). Looking to upgrade and get to ONE iPad. Recommendations on size and does iPadOS impact that choice? I love the 12.9 for typing and taking handwritten notes. The 9.7 is ideal for reading. I am really torn between the 2 sizes. I keep going back and forth. I use my iPad ALL the time for meetings, note taking, content creation, reading, etc. I do not do much drawing and very little games. I am a business coach / consultant. Any insight is appreciated.

I also am thinking about upgrading now while the prices are coming down. I do not see anything special to wait for.

You could always buy both :grinning:

Of course, the average between 9.1 and 12.9 puts you right at the doorstep of the 11".

1 Like

I use mine a lot while travelling and in my lap on my couch , so I got the 11" and love it. If this will be your only computer, you may want to consider the 12.9".

Edited to add: If you think you’ll be doing a lot of work with split screen multitasking, then the 12.9" is the way to go.

I think it is all about personal preference. I use an 11" myself, and love it.
Have looked at the 12.9 when I bought the one I have now, but it felt slightly too big to me.

I would definitely check out the 11" iPad Pro in person to see if that fits your needs.

I have the 12.9" and love it, especially when reading PDFs in portrait. Yes, for reading novels it is a little bit, but I don’t see myself buying an iPad mini anytime soon, so I guess I’ll have to live with this. :slight_smile:

We have a couple of iPad’s in our office. The 12.9 is to big to handle, great as a laptop replacement where you put it on a table with the folio keyboard. But holding it while sitting on the couch or in an airplane seat is just awkward. The 11" iPad Pro is awesome.

1 Like

My advice would be to take a couple days and really think about how you use (or intend to use) your iPad. And I strongly suggest you go to an Apple Store and check them out for yourself. Work with them, handle them, etc. to find out which is better for you and your uses.

I was in the same situation as you when I was considering upgrading my iPad Pro 9.7 – should I get the 11 or 12.9 iPad Pro? I really wanted the 12.9 since the physical dimensions were smaller that the previous generation, but the screen was still large to work on. On the other hand, the screen on the new 11 was bigger than my 9.7.

After playing with both in the store (and walking in with an 80% intention to get the 12.9), I got the 11 inch. Why? Weight. Yeah, the 12.9 screen is great and works with two fullsized apps when in split screen mode. However, when outfitted with a smart folio cover or keyboard folio cover, the 12.9 was significantly heavier than the comparably outfitted 11 inch. That mattered to me bigly since my iPad is effectively a laptop replacement that I carry in my briefcase for work every day.

So again, check out both models in person. Don’t rely only on specs you see on the internet. It’s important to handle these devices before you buy because it may change your perspective. It changed mine.

5 Likes

Your thinking matches mine. Every time I have thought about getting the 12.9 I hesitate and go back to the 11. I have handled them some — and that is good advice. Weight is a big deal and I take my iPad every where. The split screen size on the 12.9 and the weight and portability of the 11 offset each other. All the other factors then favor the 11 in my mind.

Thank you. You are confirming the direction I am likely to take.

What still amazes me is that my old iPad 3 (the first model with a Retina screen) was 652g, while the 11" iPad Pro is only 468g, and even the comparatively gigantic 12.9" iPad Pro is lighter as well (by a tiny amount), at 633g.

2 Likes