Organising spaces

I want to create 5 spaces and launch two apps on each space. Can this be done with a single keystroke ?

Keyboard Maestro with Moom could do this I think

1 Like

neither KM or Moom helps to create a SPACE, so how can I do this ?

I created multiple spaces when I buy my Macs. I donā€™t ā€˜createā€™ a pace on the fly - they simply exist and persist.

I also configure apps in the dock to open only in a specific space.

Itā€™s then trivial to use Keyboard Maestro to launch whatever app(s) I want with a command, and theyā€™ll automatically populate in their assigned spaces.

3 Likes

Create the spaces, appoint apps to the space as @bowline illustrated, take a moom snapshot and recall it from KM when needed. Thatā€™s how I usually do this kind of thing.

1 Like

Yes, and you donā€™t have to keep apps in the Dock; you can just configure each app from the Dock when open in whichever Space you prefer.

(That trick with Moom is very clever - I never thought of doing that!)

What about https://www.switchem.co/?

Two questions.

1. I have Moom and I take snapshots, but they donā€™t seem to put all the windows where they are supposed to go. It puts some windows in the right places. Others it seems to ignore. I have my MBP connected to two external monitors and apps strewn across all over them. I took the snapshot after positioning the apps and then I select it when Iā€™m ready. It moves some apps into the right places but others it ignores. And this does not seem to be related to ignoring obstructed windows. Any idea if Iā€™m doing something wrong?

2. Are you saying that Moom will create the appropriate spaces (if they are not ā€œopenā€) when you select the snapshot, or do you have to have the spaces open already?

Wait, what? I have Moom - but seemed to have missed the ā€˜snapshotā€™ feature? Or is this referring to KM functionality?

Itā€™s moom. Click the menu bar app and the first entry should be ā€œSave Window Layout Snapshot.ā€

1 Like

I had never paid much attention to that feature - had a look now, and see how it can be very useful!

Thanks to you and @JKoopmans for the assistance/suggestion!