Outlining Software Recommendations?

yes sorry that was a typo

If it was a typo I’d have to disagree. Since the 80s, back when I used Acta on my Mac, I’ve written thousands of pages of reference docs and first drafts, starting with multi-paragraph outlines with subheadings and sub sub subheadings, and then taking the OPML file into a word processor later.

Your outlines may last you only a few hours, but I have outlines with checklists and notes that have persisted for years. A writer friend uses his outlines for lists of ideas based on 3-act structure, tossing in ideas for scenes, characters, names, research notes, locations etc that he uses as reference material for his writing. Writer Matt Gemmell maps out sheets in Ulysses in a similar way, but closing nodes to view headers in an outline (similar to a mindmap), as well as the ability to hoist or even clone nodes (depending on the app) is uniquely useful.

Nothing to disagree with - I was only intending to point out that different use cases are likely to lead to different apps. I generally write anything long in Scrivener so an outline for me quickly gets transferred to Scrivener document titles etc. (which are still viewable within Scrivener as an outline of sorts) so I don’t particularly need the more elaborate features of dedicated outliners.

2 Likes

Outlinely looks very promising. Thank you

I frequently have OO open while teaching as a reference for what topics to cover.

1 Like

I just gave a short talk today using an outline printed right out of OmniOutliner.

1 Like