Overthrow the Tyranny of Morning People

The US Tried Permanent Daylight Saving Time in the ’70s. People Hated It - Washingtonian

Not only for Daylight saving time, We have given too much power to the morning people.

“Morning person” or “night owl?” I have no idea what I am for weeks after the clocks have changed.

I can respect that you don’t want year round DST, but I promise you that I do. It’s no contest, not even close. I think it’s more of an issue the further north you go. I loathe that the sun goes down well before 4PM during the darkest months.

1 Like

This article has cracked me up, so many good lines:

• “I am a Night Person. An owl. A Nosferatu. I move in the shadows. I am vengeance; I am the night; I am Batman.”
  • “But ask me to get up at 4 a.m.? What is this, Russia?”

Whether we actually like Daylight Savings probably does at least in part depend on our latitude. The UK, for example doesn’t get sunrise until around 8.30am in December. I’d hate to stay on Daylight Savings, as it would be even worse! But, I feel like we’ve mostly got the hang of darker evenings? We settle in with cosy lighting, candles, fires, Christmas lights (for November and December anyway). It’s not practical to switch those behaviours to mornings.

1 Like

+1

In the winter, I drove to and from work in the dark. The only time I saw the sun was when I walked past a window. As much as I hate subscriptions I would have paid to have DST year round. :grinning:

3 Likes

I was probably half-remembering that very article when I made my comment above. But I’m surprised to see I unconsciously plagiarized the headline.

Sharing without comment as it’s crossed my feeds and thought some of you might enjoy it:

We need year round DST. Earlier sunrise. No changing clocks. That is all.

2 Likes

The US tried that in the 1970s, and hated it.

Research has shown that everybody’s happiest with year-round Standard Time, at least in the US. Nobody believes that though.

1 Like

Nope. My state stayed on DST for one year in the 60’s. Everyone thought it was great, except the powers that be.

Note: “Everyone” in the 60’s was comprised of people you saw from time to time at school, church, work, etc. :wink:

@WayneG @K11 The UK trialled staying on BST (GMT+1) in the late 60s as well, but then reverted back to GMT for winters. Supposedly there were less vehicle fatalities during the winter in GMT than in BST.

Interestingly, the EU moved to end clock changes a few years ago and the bill was drafted but never enacted. It was part of brexit preparations pre-pandemic (because if the UK left the EU and the EU ratified the bill, the UK would no longer be in sync with clock changes elsewhere in Europe, and I assume chaos would ensue until everyone figured it out). Then the pandemic happened and I guess everyone figured there was more important stuff to do than argue about clock changes and it’s not come back on the agenda yet.

1 Like