OWC Thunderbolt 4 Dock and MBP Power Settings

I just received the new OWC Thunderbolt 4 Dock. It was just released this week. I will use it with a new M1Pro MacBook Pro. It’s been a while since I’ve used a laptop as my only computer and using a dock with a computer is new to me (I do have a portable dock for my iPad). When I have it on my desk it will be in clamshell mode. I had it in this mode this afternoon and had left the room for about 40 minutes. When I came back my monitor was off and would not come back on. The 2 hard drives that I had attached to the dock had been ejected (with the associated alert). I had to unplug the dock and plug back in for everything to work. I changed my settings for when the MBP is plugged in to the following (see below). Anyone see any problems with this? My screensaver is set to come on after 10 minutes of inactivity.

1 Like

You should be able to let the display turn off but keep the computer from sleeping. Letting the computer sleep kills power to the dock so the drives go away.

For the record I had this dock since Apr. They just had new batches produced and started shipping it out. I use it with MBP, and I am not experiencing this issue. I have the default power settings.

I have the same dock but don’t get my new MBP for another month yet.

A question I’m wondering @mina is do you power the laptop from the dock or do you have the separate power source for the laptop?

Yes, I use the dock power, just works great.

I suggest when you set up the MBP on your desk to first plug in the MagSafe power, so it is the recognised first power source and then plug in the dock. This way the dock consumes power for drives and peripherals but no passthru to the MBP.

I would not set the displays to never sleep. In clamshell mode the display should be off anyway as it is triggered by a magnetic switch.

I recommend keeping the computer from sleeping but allowing the screensaver to come on/screen to sleep. If you have an external monitor you can keep the MBP open for better airflow and use a very small magnet on the rim of the MBP near the trackpad to simulate the clamshell screen off to only use external monitor. This trick might help if you find your MBP runs hot while in clamshell mode

Is there an Amazon link for this dock ? Thanks all

I don’t see it on Amazon. Here is the link for it at OWC.

1 Like

Thanks for pointing that out. I thought the term “preorder” was for new products. I assume they were out of stock for quite a while. I’ll change my title.

Would this happen if the dock is powered? Maybe the power to my house flickered. I was outside at the time this happened.

If this happens again with the new settings, I will try this.

If the fans start coming on, I will try this.

Thanks to all for your help. I appreciate it.

Thanks. That’s why I asked. Something popped up on Amazon but not sure it was legit. Thanks again

1 Like

I’ve had the OWC TB3 dock and used it for the past year with my M1 Air that is in clamshell mode 99% of the time. Regarding the monitor not waking up - what kind of monitor is it? I used to have a monitor that did not wake up from sleep when used with a dock or even direct from my MacBook Pro that I had at the time.

This OWC TB3 dock has been fabulous for me, with no issues. When I walk up to my desk I simply click my mouse button or keyboard’s space bar and then the Air and my Dell U2718Q display that is connected to the dock both wake up within a couple of seconds.

I’m using Logitech MX Keys and MX Master.

I had the same challenge with this dock. I had to change my monitors to not auto switch. It could just be a coincidence, but since setting the manual setting of the source, I can use the dock with a 16” Intel Mac, M1 Mac Mini, and a HP Windows laptop (at different times of course) with no crashing or monitors not waking. The not waking up was occurring on a Samsung 4K monitor and a Dell 38” curved monitor.

1 Like

I have a | Dell 27” monitor S2719DM and it’s working fine now. I think the problem I had was a power flicker.

UPDATE: Just wanted to note that my original problem was a one-off and most probably related to a power flicker. I am kind of sorry that I posted my original post. Perhaps, I should have waited to see if it really was a problem. Since that one time, the OWC Thunderbolt 4 dock has worked flawlessly. I am currently using it with my 14" MBP M1Pro and the new Apple Studio Display and it continues to work well.