Pages pagination and text boxes... am I missing something?

I often use Pages to do newsletters for clients. For online distribution a standard 8.5x11 page is fine. But sometimes they need pages laid out for printing on 11x17 sheets. In my most recent newsletter I created a duplicate file, set the page size to 11x17 then rearranged my 12 pages for proper pagination when printing via the 6 spreads.

So, two questions.

1. Am I overlooking an option which allows for exporting 8.5x11 pages to a pdf with 11 x 17" spreads?

2. The second question concerns linked text boxes. Because a 12 page newsletter, when rearranged on 6 spreads results in a wonky order of pages any linked text boxes get confused. So, for example, a text box that started on page 9 and linked to page 11 got confused because page 11 came before page 9 in the spreads. The result was that Pages insisted that the 2nd linked box should be the first because it was located on an earlier spread. Is this a bug or just an “unexpected behavior”? Any work around besides disassociating text boxes and manually managing the text in them?

I don’t know the answer to your first question, but for your second question you should be able to control the order of the text boxes. Pages calls this “thread control”.Click on the circle at the top center of the frame of the text box. There you can specify the order for that box. Place 1 in the first, 2 for the second, and so on. The boxes can be anywhere in a document and you ca still specify the order in which they fill.

I have only done this in the desktop version, so I don’t know if it can be done in the iiOS or web versions.

I haven’t done this in years but you should be able to set your page size for 8½x11, and then in the print menu select 11x17 paper and under Layout say two pages per sheet. You will still have the wonky print order. Pages isn’t sophisticated enough to do this right.

Unfortunately it doesn’t work. Or at least, I could not get it to work. The feature in on both iOS and Mac but I tried numerous times to re-order using this feature but it refused to work. It’s fine for boxes on the same page or progressively later pages. But try to re-order a box to an earlier page and it fails. In my case it kept reverting box 2 and 3 to boxes 1 and 2. At the same time those two boxes would no longer even see the original 1 text box.

Yeah, unfortunately I need an exact print order. I love pages but am a bit disappointed that in 2018 this still isn’t handled properly. True, it’s not something that everyone uses but it’s not uncommon for people that need to print newsletters, reports or booklets which would seem to be a usecase that should be covered.

Assuming you need booklet order I’ve used a Mac App Store app called “Create Booklet” to do this before. You just print to it and it does the work.

1 Like

Thanks Rosemary, I’ll have a look!

Interesting. I thought for sure I had done this, but I guess not. I just tried, and the behavior is as you have described.

Apple should fix this.