Password Manager - 1Password 8 is just not working for me

and don’t use anything else except safari I guess.

2 Likes

Admittedly, I am a 1PW user because of the family fault. Your Keychain can’t be accessed by third party apps and browsers? That’s very disappointing. I stand corrected, and thank you for righting this wrong. Wouldn’t have wanted to steer anybody the wrong way.

Keychain should be reasonably secure as long as you use a long complex logon password.

There is a chrome extension meant for windows users

I’m curious in what way it does not work for you? I find 1PW8 working better than 1PW7… but I must admit I did not use 1PW for long before 8 came out.

I use the client and also the browser extension for Safari and Chrome, but most of the time I use the shortcut for the Quick Access feature.

I tried giving up 1Password in favor of the built-in Apple password manager. This was a year ago before Monterey which I guess is somewhat better? Anyway, you can read my findings here: Back to 1Password

BTW, I love 1Password 8, it’s a great update and I find it totally worth the subscription price, which I can’t say about too many other pieces of software that I use.

1 Like

And future proofed via Keepaass compatibility.

I use the Apple Keychain, and I am absolutely fine with that.

Isn’t this a “problem” with all Password Manager Apps?

1 Like

Yes. And from what I’ve observed people normally use longer passwords with a dedicated password manager than they do to log into their mac.

In the case of 1password, for example, my password is more than 25 characters. That combined with the required 34 character ‘secret key’ create a key of approximately 60 characters that an attacker would need to crack.

Keychain is only protected by the users logon password. How many people do you know that use a 50+ character password on their Mac? I don’t. But all the sensitive info on my mac is individually encrypted.

IMO, password length is just something to think about when choosing where you store your passwords.

I liked it for the “minimalist” approach. Clean and simple, but I can’t leave 1PW.

And you have to type in the “secret key” also, or what is its source, if you open the 1P?

I use a 11-Digit password for logon to my encrypted system and the Keychain.
It has small and large cases, numbers and an special sign. It took several hundred years to get into it with a SuperComputer and a Brute Force attack, and several thousand for an “average hacker” with a rather “normal high-end system”. I am totally fine with that!
If someone took the afford to go into this, he could have all my secrets as a reward… :joy: :sweat_smile:

I also use a special system of a combination of a SingleUse User Name, and a variation of my password, to log on to all services, so I in reality do not need an password manager to log onto my accounts, if I have to do it from a different system than my own ones.

Am I the only one using Apple’s pasword management as a convenience and a regular password manager as a backup? Any new credential or password change goes through Strongbox and then I let Safari update the password.

And you are probably more secure than the vast majority of users. I only say “probably” because I have no idea what actual risks we face today.

IMO one of the risks of shorter passwords is that most people don’t use truly random passwords. I haven’t brute forced any passwords since the 90’s and I did that as an experiment on one of my company’s Windows NT servers.

I have guessed (& observed) the passwords of several of my users to show them how vulnerable they were.

Not normally. Which is an advantage for the majority of users, IMO.

https://support.1password.com/secret-key-security/

It is interesting to read that, but they are requiring the user to use the Apple Keychain, to protect their secret key, and if I use Keychain to use 1P, I could also use Keychain instead of 1P.
Also they ask the user to print out the Secret Key, and store it “securely”, which means for the most of the user most probably inside the drawer of the desk, and to make it more secure, the lower drawer…

All true. If people use a complex password Keychain is a good place to keep your passwords.

As far as those users who would store critical documents “inside the drawer of the desk” even “the lower drawer”. They are probably more concerned with things like finding a place to store the freeze dried water they purchased for emergencies :grinning:

I plan to stay with 1PW for the foreseeable future. It has additional features that I depend on.

Ive also been getting annoyed with 1Password. Maybe one of you guys can help me out. When i create a new account for a website, It asks for me to create a password. Where do i find 1Password’s “Password Generator”?

I too have been annoyed by 1password 8. Its seems to get in the way more, and some functionality has been removed

Tapping or clicking Create a New Password opens the generator with options. Mobile screenshots:

1 Like

@cornchip

But it doesn’t always trigger the password generator, which means I have to show the password in Apple Password, copy it, and then put it into 1Password.

It’s things like this that make me want to move away, it just doesn’t seem to work every time.

Question
Should it also pop up for apps that need a new password??

1 Like

Whether it pops up for apps depends on whether the app has implemented support for password managers in that form. Inside an app, password managers only exist as a system integration the app can use if coded right.

As for 1PW not prompting you to create and save new accounts in the browser, I’m not sure. I’ve occasionally found the Safari extension to flake out; restarting Safari fixes that. Understandably frustrating.