PDF app with a reading ruler?

I recently discovered an excellent feature in the Kindle app: a “reading ruler.” When enabled, the app displays a translucent coloured bar over the text at a certain position in the page. Screenshot:

You can change the colour, the height, and the style of the bar.

I find it speeds up my reading considerably, but I would never want to import most of my readings (PDFs) into the Kindle app. Is anyone aware of a PDF reader with such a feature? Ideally one that can open files in place (to avoid the import-export do-see-doh).

I’ve looked at Highlights, PDF Expert, PDF Viewer, and Flexcil, to no avail.

And yes, I realize I could probably use an actual physical reading ruler (gasp) to accomplish this, app-agnostic… I’m thinking about it!

Skim has this built in, on the Mac.

1 Like

Ah, that’s great, thanks! I already use Skim but hadn’t thought to check it.

(I’m hoping for iPad options, too… should’ve mentioned that.)

Were you ever able to find an iOS app that does this?

I never knew the Kindle app on iOS could do this. :grinning:

1 Like

No, never. I gave up looking! :frowning:

There’s also an app called overlays that works pretty well, and it’s not PDF specific. I don’t know if there’s an iOS version as I’m not an iPhone user.

I found one! GitHub - ahrm/sioyek: Sioyek is a PDF viewer designed for reading research papers and technical books.

1 Like

Great find (albeit not for iPad)!

Hey Ryan, did you have any luck finding an app that has this for the iPad?

No, sorry, I have not. I have thought about getting an actual ruler, heh… except I use my iPad for reading less and less in general.

Yeah I love the reading ruler feature for kindle ipad!

1 Like

Of the main offerings I’m only aware that Kindle offers this; even Apple’s Books and the common library apps (Libby and Bluefire Reader) do not. Given that it’s potentially an accessibility tool I assume it’s technologically difficult to implement? No idea. I have it enabled on Kindle too, I don’t really need it but I find it helps me focus.

I would be loathe to move any PDFs to Kindle though so I’d rather go without than do that!

2 Likes

Voice Dream might fit the bill with as lot more to offer as well.

1 Like

Found this, but again not for iPad: ‎Glide - Focus Pointer on the Mac App Store

2 Likes

THX for pointing to that!!