PDF Text Selection on the Obsidian iPadOS beta

I’ve consumed the Obsidian Field Guide from top to bottom and now I’m getting the idea of why this is potentially such a great app. One use case I have (lawyer) is marking up and grabbing quotations from PDFs. The pre-release version of Obsidian on the desktop now lets you do this natively. You select text in a PDF in the attachments folder and you can then paste either the selection or just a link to it in another note.

I’d love to do this on the mobile version of the software (especially on iPad). I signed up for the Obsidian TestFlight beta and in the instructions on what to test, there it is: “Test PDF selection”. But, when I try it (using the same PDFs i was successfully able to do this with on the Mac, I am not able to select text at all, let alone perform any functions on it. Now, that may be a bug and I will report it that way just to be sure. But it may also be an intended “feature” (if not being able to do something can be labeled a feature!).

Hoping someone here can shed some light on this. I posted in the Obsidian Forum but so far no responses.

@MacSparky ? @RosemaryOrchard ?

1 Like

It’s a bug. The team’s working on it. (You posted your thread in the help section of the Obsidian forum, but I moved to bugs.)

Just had time to get back here and check on this. Thanks for confirming, @ryanjamurphy. And thanks for moving it to the “Bugs” category. I posted in Help first to make sure it wasn’t just a documentation error. I am glad to hear it is not and that we will have this functionality, which will be very very useful.