Personal email address domains?

The domain name (@wiredfractal.com) for the last 14 years. Grandfathered on Google apps, never have to pay for my account.

1 Like

Have familyname.com with Google (grandfathered), and created first@last.com for family members. My problem is that my kids are growing up and I’m not sure they still want me to be their email admin. I’m also not sure what should happen when I die: should one kid be the email admin for the others?

2 Likes

I bought my first domain some 30 years ago and have assigned family email addresses within domain. I still use a couple of email addresses within this domain, but moved most stuff to another domain that only I use (shorter domain mostrom.eu instead of mostrom.pp.se),

This have proved to be very flexible, for example some 10-15 years ago I played with using gmail for handling my email I only set up gmail to fetch my email from my ISP, and also to reply using my regular email address. When I decided to stop using gmail (due to really bad searching !!!) I only had to disable this connection, and in my email client drag emails from the gmail account to my ISP email account. Done. No one who were mailing me did see any difference, they kept using the same email address the whole time.

My advise, buy a domain, use a ISP with unlimited email accounts, set up yourself and your family with as many email accounts as needed (including aliases and sometimes email lists). This what I’ve done since early -90s and wouldn’t do it in any other way.

1 Like

Two of my kids are software developers, they handle their own emails :D. I advised the third to get a personal domain, which she did and I host it on the ISP account I have but when she’s ready she can just move it to another account and she is completely free my my tyranny :slight_smile: And this is completely transparent to other people, the email addresses stay the same.

2 Likes

I’ve got my last name dot family for myself and as my kids grow, I plan to make them kid1 at lastname dot family accounts, etc as well.

FWIW, I’ve had a dot family TLD for about year now and I haven’t come across issues with accounts not accepting it.

2 Likes

mitch@mitchwagner.com on G Suite. Already widely published on the internet for 12 years or so, and I get minimal spam. I think that thing about spammers scraping for email addresses may be a myth.

Plenty of data leaks to get email addresses from?

I took advantage of the Fastmail deal via 1Password and signed up Fastmail for 2 years. I then connect Fastmail to the domain name that I purchased. I did not go for any domain that link to my first name or last name. However, I can easier create an email with firstname.lastname@mydomain.com using the Fastmail set up. The beauty of using the combined 1Password / Fastmail is that I can generate numerous masked email addresses. See this link

I have a domain with Godaddy. They have a email forwarding feature with a catch all function. That means if I go to walmart.com, I can register myself as walmart@mydomain.com and it will fwd to gmail. That basically gave me the flexibility to create any email base on the site I am going to for example, apple@mydomain.com, navyblue@mydomain.com.

But wouldn’t you then also get a mail I sent to topre.i.am.going.to.spam.you@mydomain.com?

I think one advantage of Masked Email is that it filters: only email to addresses that you created (not the sender) will end up in your inbox.

Hmm, you are right. In practice though, I have not received any spam mail so far.

hey all, as we continue discussing this topic, a thought occurred to me……for those who have gone down this rabbit hole.

What are the pros/cons of connecting your personal domain for email to either……

G Suite
Fastmail
iCloud+

Do any of these options have a limit on e-mail inbox size?
Is there a way to not have it capped at like 15GB ?

GSuite (Workspace now, I guess) gives you 30 GB. It also provides you with access to Calendar, Docs, Sheets, Slides, Sites, Meet, etc. — essentially the whole Google universe. And I actually use those things. So for me, $6/month for Google’s offering is a better deal than Fastmail’s $5/month for mail and calendar.

iCloud+ doesn’t have those things, either (they’re also not great about mail rules, as @RosemaryOrchard has pointed out). A pity, because I already have Apple One Premier, anyway, so I could save $6/month otherwise.

You may find the most recent episode of Automators really helpful in deciding which provider to go with:

1 Like

It’s all broken down over here, too:

2 Likes

One thing both Fastmail and iCloud do well is work with the iOS/MacOS standard mail client in a reliable way. I have created an entire workflow based on liking out my e-mail from mail to notes or reminders and then filing the message away. Google kind of forces your hand to use their app to get push notifications or a 3rd party client which stores your credentials and data in order to get that function. Ironically Fastmail new tech that apple supports does a better job of syncing compared to iCloud.

what is this new Fastmail tech you are referring to? Sounds interesting.

I also agree, out of the many email providers I have used over the years, Fastmail works the best with the Apple mail app.

JMAP Fastmail | We're Making Email More Modern with JMAP

As far as I can tell or have read, I do not believe Apple Mail app supports JMAP. I could be wrong here

Thought they were the only one to use it…. Maybe not and they are just better :slight_smile: