Please send help…

I do not think I have ever been this close to ditching the iPhone and jumping to either the S23 Ultra or the new Oppo.

Please tell me how ridiculous i am being and that it would be the worse mistake I could make.

Currently on the 14 Pro but has Android progressed enough to finally dip my toe again?

Also… save me from divorce!

In your inner self you really know that Android doesn’t stand against iOS. Resist the temptation, brother.

4 Likes

it was the lack of updates that did it for me - unsupported devices after 2 years, urgh. Not sure if that’s still the case or not.
Also, if you have any apps that share date with macOS via iCloud or are iOS only you’d be waving goodbye to all that investment.
Having to buy a whole load of new apps? The bill is going up and your divorce likelier :rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

If you are really at a point, where you want to ditch the iPhone, do so and buy an Android!
You could sell the Android to a small amount of the original price again, if you start to regret what you had done! :rofl: :joy: :rofl:
And you will enjoy the iPhone so much more after that… :wink:

We had Android as a Phone on the Aircrafts, and everybody was using his private iPhone, whenever possible…

1 Like

If you don’t have a friend with an Android phone who can show you how it works, look for Android “how to” videos on youtube for some idea of what you would be getting yourself into. At this point in my life, after all this time, I can’t imagine switching platforms.

3 Likes

That must be the case!

I write programs for Androids and IMO no, they are no where near close in terms of functions for standard stuff like addressbooks, calendars and so on. Where the Android system excels is in allowng me to easily configure systems that say use a Bluetooth EID reader, a bluetooth sheep scale, a cheap label printer that almost survives in a barn environment and so on. I can’t do that in iOS without a huge expense which as a 2 person mobile app development team we can’t really afford.

1 Like

THANK YOU ALL. I feel so much better and realise how silly I was being.

I do not need the shiny new toy. I would live to regret it.

That is a massive weight off my shoulders!

3 Likes

It depends on how into the Apple ecosystem you are. Personally, I would choose the Pixel 7 Pro over the S23 Ultra. Samsung has better hardware but Pixel is nicer to use. I came to Apple from the P6 Pro but had both Samsung and Pixel for years. Android is in most ways more advanced than iOS (not to mention Google Assistant). But once you factor in the ecosystem, especially the Mac, Apple is a no-brainer. And the iPhone has much better battery life.

1 Like

Until you need that bluetooth sheep scale, then it’s all over :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My wife says she’s the only thing I’ve ever stick with for more than a few weeks :joy:

I am very easily swayed by new toys.

You have found your tribe here.

2 Likes

You’re sick of a phone which is less than 6 months old?

Don’t get me wrong, no iPhone is revolutionary these days, but what were you expecting when you bought it that it didn’t achieve?

If you simply want a look at Android, buy a tablet, if you like it you could move across next time you change your phone.

I’ve switched from iPhone to Android a couple of times (once voluntarily, once with a work provided phone) both times I hated it. Not because they were bad as such, but because my brain works differently to how Android does.

Compare this to when I swapped to Mac from PC which was a revelation as it worked exactly as I expected, even after 10 years of using PCs.

2 Likes

My story was very similar. Working in IT, the last thing I wanted to do when I got home was fix my own PC. A PowerMac solved it for me and I never looked back, with an iPod Mini not far behind.

2 Likes

The Pixel is the only Android phone I am ever tempted by. Not because I really want to switch, but because it seems like the most iPhone-like Android phone there is.

1 Like

I think it is a similar story for a lot of us “older” users!
I started with an iPad2, back in the days, and had a WindowsPhone (HTC with Sliding Keypad) at that time.
The iPad was a nice Gimmick, but didn’t drove me over to Apple at all, but one Day I literally smashed the WindowsPhone (I never had thrown any object (not made to be thrown!) before, or after!) into the corner of the room, and bought that same Day an iPhone, and 4 Weeks later, I switched my PC, where I spent about 80% of my time with Maintenance Tasks, into a wonderful iMac 27’'.
I have never regret that switch, and every time I have to work with Windows or Android, I could again confirm, why I stick with the Apple Ecosystem!

1 Like

I run an iPhone 13 Mini as my main phone, but as a backup (and in it’s primary use currently, as an MP3 player next to the bed), I recently purchased a Samsung A13 and I’m impressed with it - whilst it’s a budget phone in comparison to the iPhone, I’ve still been happy with how it works. The camera is poor, and that’s a primary draw to iPhone - though I also recently had the chance to try out a Pixel 7 and that’s got an excellent camera.

At the minute, the primary reason for using iPhone is that my wife does, and therefore I only have to pay £2.49 a month for additional storage space we can share as a family, as well as the additional features of Find My, easy calendar, reminders, notes, AirDrop etc.

I’ve had an Android alongside my iPhone for years, as I used to write articles for a UK computer magazine (no longer published - RIP Micro Mart), and found it handy to have both for various articles.

Most of the big name apps are the same - it’s the smaller ones that missing but seem to the be the favorites around here - such as Drafts. I think the only two that I really missed when I tested the Pixel was Meters - though that works on my iPad Mini and Parcel, but again, works on iPad. I also lost my Daylio streak as that doesn’t sync between iPhone and Android.

I am using iPhone 13 pro and Pixel 7 pro but the Pixel is my primary phone. When I go out , I have my Pixel 7 Pro and my Apple watch so I get the best of both worlds.

I think the iOS an Android are different in some ways, can say which one is better. I am on multiple platforms, Mac, Windows, Linux, iOS and Android, so I may be the outlyer here.

The thing I like about Pixel 7 Pro is the AI behind the camera app, the call screeing function and call on hold function. Not sure it is related or not, I have a lot less scam call since I changed to Pixel but using the same phone number

1 Like

I think your comment is right on the mark, so to speak. There is a switching cost in going from the iOS to the Android ecosystem, and vice versa. Unless the advantage of making the switch is very compelling, switching doesn’t make sense. This is probably why I have stayed with iOS (and MacOS) over all the years.

4 Likes