Pocket Casts is for sale again

Apple podcasts has been going the wrong direction for my needs, they removed features that I used and have never added the features I wanted.

I’m a fairly long time pocket casts user, long enough that I have a free lifetime subscription for being an OG user. I don’t do subscriptions, so if if all of the pay-once apps disappeared, I’d stop listening to podcasts altogether.

1 Like

I just knew they are Australia based. Good for you then :smiley: My favorite text editor (SublimeHQ) and game (Team Cherry - Hollow Knight) are Aussie based too.

Your mileage may vary, but Pocket Casts and Overcasts have super generous non-premium mode. So if you no longer considered OG user, I think you still can enjoy podcasts on great players.

1 Like

I think Overcast offers quite literally every feature except uploading your own stuff in the free version - it’s just ad supported.

1 Like

I’ll do subscriptions if there’s value eg

Willy Weather is a great app but the weather data costs them money. As a private pilot I like overkill in my weather apps and this one hits the spot

1 Like

Does it sync listening position across devices?

Yes. I can listen to something on my iPhone, pick up my iPad or Mac, and it’ll sync up there.

2 Likes

Amazing. Any Chance it supports Amazon Alexa by now?

It does. If I’ve been listening on my phone I can just say “Alexa, Open Pocketcasts” and it picks up the queue where I left off.

You can also ask for specific podcasts directly and it seems pretty accurate - I think it checks your subscriptions first which helps get the right podcast. I’m very impressed and use it regularly.

1 Like

Thanks for that it’s quite useful and I just started using the Pocketcasts Alexa feature!

In this case I was specifically referring to the last Overcast comment. I went and searched, though, and think Pocketcasts is the only major podcast app supporting Alexa.

1 Like

FWIW I can’t imagine Overcast ever supporting Alexa, because Overcast is iOS/macOS only. Hard to support a virtual assistant that doesn’t run on your supported platforms. :slight_smile:

Oh man. I really really hope they don’t turn this into a subscription app. Please noooo :frowning:

1 Like

I would however say that Overcast is faster to detect new podcast episodes than PocketCasts, but PC is only a few mins behind

2 Likes

I know what you mean though I will add that there is an iOS Alexa app but its pretty limited in that you won’t be able to replace Siri.