Podcast from beginning?

Is there a podcast app that makes it easy to listen to a podcast from the beginning? I sometimes find a new podcast that’s best heard sequentially, and I want to catch up. Most apps default to pulling in new episodes.

Fwiw, I use Castro most of the time, so if it’s possible there, even better. But if I have to, I’m willing to use a separate app when I want to catch up on something.

Overcast for iOS (only). Settings for individual Podcasts allow you to Sort first to last or last to first

4 Likes

Overcast also allows you to download/choose all podcasts in a feed (use the All button at the top)

2 Likes

This, with the caveat that many podcasts won’t have all of their episodes in the feed. The old episodes are almost always available somewhere, but it might be a matter of sideloading for older ones - particularly more than the last 100 episodes.

3 Likes

Ordering Oldest → Newest also available in PocketCasts, as is the “download all” feature. Sideloading also available if necessary - I’ve used that for downloaded lectures.

4 Likes

Thanks all! Seeing the description of Overcast reminded me I have Downcast, which also makes it easy to download all and then play in date-ascending order.

The iOS Podcasts app does allow this, though you do have to Follow the show, then go to the show listing, pick the 3 dots, choose Settings, and then you are allowed to choose between oldest to newest, or vice versa. Not the simplest steps, but doable.