Podcasting setup advice

After years of using an old usb headset to record my podcast I’m ready to invest in something better. I tried to find some episodes where I know setup recommendations where given but there either seemed way too old now or i couldn’t find them.

I’m running a MacBook pro (late 2013) and getting something newer soon.

I’m happy to spend $500 - 600. Looking at getting a microphone, preamp, and supporting stuff like a desk mount arm and pop filter.

Either your experience or links to current reviews by folks you trust are welcome.

Jason Snell has a post on putting together a good but inexpensive podcasting setup. If you’re willing to spend more than that Marco Arment’s Podcasting Microphones Mega-Review seems to be the canonical place to start. If you’d like your podcast information in podcast form, there’s a lot of good info in the 200th episode of Upgrade.

2 Likes

Thank you. I’m off to listen to Upgrade.

Marco’s page looks great for approach but for recommendations it looks like it hasn’t been updated in a long time.

I podcast for a living and recently started a series on my podcasting workflow, including hardware recommendations. You can find my first entry on hardware here: https://www.bettnet.com/my-podcasting-workflow-hardware-setup/

2 Likes

For that budget, I’d go with:

• Tascam USB 2x2
  • Shure 87A
  • K&M 23850 boom arm
1 Like

I’m keeping it simple with a Yeti and a pop filter attached. Works with my Mac and iOS Devices.

Got some sound advice from Ortega at Podcasters Studio. My last podcast was 4 years ago.

Blue Yet works fine in a quiet environment. My inexpensive favorite mic AudioTechnica 2100. USB XLR — Audacity to record and edit as a starting point. It’s aimed at podcasting not music and is inexpensive.

All depends on your show type, in studio guests or solo or roving in the field.

1 Like

Thanks everyone. I found the Audio Technica 2100 was on sale. So i went for it. It is arriving today. I like that It can just plug it into my laptop direct if I’m on the go or use a preamp and be fancier at my desk.

I decided to follow the advice to new folks on Upgrade (link in first reply) and not get too excited about buying gear unless I’m certain I need it. Even though I’m getting to episode 100. I did not order an amp yet. I figured I’d just test to out and see how it goes.

1 Like

That was my first podcasting microphone and I still have it as a secondary/backup/travel mic! It’s a good microphone for the price and flexibility.

Glad to hear it has served you well.

1 Like

I’ve been using the microphone for a week or so now. It is great. My technique needs some work but the mic is wonderful.

1 Like

Pleased to read that the 2100 is working for you. No pretense that its the worlds best mic. Flexible and competent… i actually used one in conjunction with the original Nexus 7 to do recordings. Investigate getting a shock mount and boom arm. Depending… it can add convenience and help maintain the correct distance mic to mouth.

1 Like