Poll: 1Password Sync

You are not paranoid. Or at least if you are welcome to the club. :sunglasses:

No computer system that is not airgapped is completely safe. An airgapped computer can be breached if you have physical access.

2 Likes

He’s saying that the data is end-to-end encrypted; 1password doesn’t have the credentials needed to read your data. So thieves also can’t read it if they breach 1Password’s systems. All of their security model pages are worth reading, but the secret key is the key (haha) to why you’re the only one who can get your data from them.

https://support.1password.com/secret-key-security/

Edit: to answer the question, we sync with a business account.

2 Likes

1Password.com Family plan, since it was announced. (I actually had a 1Password.com personal plan in the brief time before the family plan existed.)

I’ll admit that I didn’t love the idea of switching over to an “invisible” sync system that I could not “get into” like I could with Dropbox… but I’ve never had a single problem, which I can’t say for any other method of sync I’ve used. (I used to routinely get different item counts on different devices.)

1Password Families as well. Got it cheaper for getting it early at launch. I’m also subscribed to 1Password personal account (also at launch) at the time. Long time user since 1Password 2. I think around 2007-2008.

Same as everybody else here - 1PW for Families.

BUT… I’m starting to get paranoid in a different direction. Reading the comments, if 1PW ever gets hacked; we’re all done for!

The hackers would still need your master password to get to your data. Yes, it can be a single point of failure, but that’s why there is 2FA and i do trust 1p more than the other password managers.

1 Like

2FA too! Not just dependant on 1Password. Even they can’t unlock an account if you forget your master password. Hoping that helps if they ever do get hacked.

I wonder what happens if hackers delete the 1Password data on the 1Password server and than this is synced to devices. All pw gone without local backup on all devices will be the result i guess. Makes me feel uncomfortable

Not necessarily how it works. System is designed so that data is synced and lives on your device. On the Mac if you’re using time machine you can even backup to previous versions of the database.

Thanks for the Reply and explenation. From what I‘ve read my understanding was that Data is also Stores in the 1Password Server (so ist can je accessed via Webbrowser) and therefore i was a Little Bit concerned On what Happens of somebody edleres this Data and this is Synode ( don‘t know of this prevented somehow). I was thinking to switching to local vault and Sync via iCloud as This wolle Provide two layers of encryption Boy two different companies and Backups are Fine locally. Don‘t know of this Males Sense.

Ah okay. If you keep backups I think you’re good. Im a user and have let the convenience of using the Family plan outweigh my concern. When you have a wife that uses passwords like “cat hat” I think you’re much better off using 1Password…

Well this means I should get on the Hazel train, because the other 4 from your list are absolutely essential for me too!

On-topic: 1Password.com because I’m a recent user and it seemed like a secure option.

1 Like

Switched to 1Password Families & Sync a couple years ago when Dropbox put a maximum of systems using one account without paying $$$$.

1 Like

+1 for 1Password for Families. Has worked flawlessly since launch of the subscription.
Have moved all my app syncs away from Dropbox. Most went to iCloud and some to native sync (Junecloud for Deliveries and Omni for Omnifocus)