POLL: What email service are you using? - Personal and for Work

I use gmail for personal and MS365 for work. I see a lot of grief to Microsoft service, for me it works great, Outlook app is excellent… I have work email and calendar separate from personal mail and calendar. I do not expect much from email services just to deliver my emails.

Personal: gmail and g suite with personal domain
Work: corporate just moved from exchange to 365

@anon41602260 what backend do you use for the personal domains? How do you keep track of all the different email addresses?

I host my domains at Dreamhost.

Emm, well, because I know what accounts I create?

1 Like

Lol, good point. I know for myself I prefer to have separate emails for different contexts (personal/family, website signups, spam/throwaway signups, different organizations or groups). Are you doing it similarly?

My main pain point is then I have to add that to mail on all my different devices (iPhone, iPad, Mac). Are you consolidating in a different way?

Oh I feel for you on that one. We’re also stuck with multi-factor (or should that be multi-frustration) authentication and only “sanctioned” apps. It is a real pain as the only way I can get a coherent view of my appointments is by configuring my Gmail account in Outlook, which is possibly the worst calendar app I have had the pleasure of using.

I also don’t understand how Microsoft created such a dog pile of an authentication system. No… I kid… of course I understand how they did it. Microsoft is an ideas company. Their execution is systematically sloppy.

Have you looked into publishing your calendar? I did this

Most of them are just forwarders to my main address. For “real” accounts: AirMail allows sharing accounts over iCloud, so I just set them up on my Mac and can easily import them into iOS/iPadOS.

1 Like
  • privacy/security. I won’t use data-gobblers such as Google for my communication need
  • maintenance: I have been self-hosting since mid 90ies and I built/maintained the IT infrastructure in several companies. So, I am “tech-savvy” enough to do that. Of course you need to be aware of backups, etc.
  • hardware: email is very easy on hardware. You can even set it up on a virtual server (encrypted user folders, so no worries). I have a dedicated server, which also does other stuff. The load (CPU/memory) from email is neglible.
  • setup: not that difficult. Troubleshooting might be more of an issue.
  • advantages: I can set up my own aliases, forwarders, accounts, etc. I am in control of spam filtering. Nobody has access to my stuff (filesystem is encrypted and server can only be accessed with SSH keys).
  • disadvantages: You have to take care of any issue. Updates are a non-issue, debian/postfix/dovecot are very reliable in this respect. Since they are widely used, the updates are thoroughly tested
  • cost: the software I use is free, hardware depends on what you use. vServers can be had for as little as €4 a month, an already existing mini/PC/NAS could also do the job. Dedicated servers cost more.
3 Likes

Personal: Mythic Beasts (who my website is hosted with). Left Fastmail, as I found Roundcube on Mythic Beasts was very good, and saves me money in the future (as I’ll always have that and saves paying for email with Fastmail!)

Work: M365

1 Like

Personal: Gmail/iCloud
Business: Hosted at Hover w/domain

Currently researching email hosting providers to eventually have a custom domain for my family, so that my kids don’t have to go though the hell of having too many email accounts on different services. And I have not been a fan of Hover mail. It gets the job done, but they don’t give you as much control or features as others.

1 Like

Yup. Blocked by corporate policy.

I’ve also tried exporting the calendar from Outlook and importing to Google. I’ve got a process that works but it has to be done manually and can be very slow for a busy calendar. I’ve tried using Microsoft Flow to catch updates and apply them to Google but… well… Flow is great in principle, less so in practice.

I think the company policy is “If our employees can’t get their own information then there’s no way any malicious actor can.”

1 Like