POLL: What is your task manager of choice?

• Reminders for one-off tasks (“call Joe at 9:00 AM”, “wake up DW in one hour”) and regularly repeating stuff (“change water filters”, “check credit report”).
  • Microsoft ToDo for lists shared with my wife (who has an Android phone).
  • TaskPaper for projects with multiple steps.

As far as I can tell, you can export to markdown or rich text. You can print to pdf but I don’t see a direct export option. I’m a fairly new user, so I may be missing something.

1 Like

I’ve tried a bunch but trying to just use Reminders now - mainly for the great Apple sync and simple Siri integration (remind me in 2 hours to xxx.) Perfect when on the go with iPhone…

I’m another very happy Noteplan user. The developer updates it at a pace that rivals Drafts.

3 Likes

I’ll probably regret asking this because I don’t want to go down another app rabbit trail :slightly_smiling_face: but is there two-way sync between NotePlan and Reminders?

Sounds like we might want to try Noteplan in the Software of the Month club.

5 Likes

I’ve just installed it to give it a whirl based on this thread. (I love SetApp.) I don’t need/want to change my personal workflow, but I’m doing a ton of work with one client for a short period of time and it would be nice to keep that separate.

Yes, there is a two-way sync. You can add/modify from either app. It seems to sync quickly every time I’ve tried it (I use Cloudkit for NotePlan sync).

1 Like

I was afraid you’d say that. :slightly_smiling_face: I may give it a trial run but I’m disinclined to pay $60/year unless it provides features significantly more robust than what I can accomplish with the default apps. It is worth a free trial to check it out given the rave reviews.

1 Like

That’s always been my sticking point with Noteplan – not just a subscription price but a high one.

That said, I’ve been playing with the trial and it is hitting a sweet spot for me. And it’s come a LONG way since I last used it back on version 1. They (or he) has really done a good job in adding to it without stepping away from his initial conceit.

Almost makes me wish there was more in SetApp I would use to justify the cost. But right now it would just be that and Mindnode.

I don’t care so much for the gamification (and thus have it turned off), but Todoist is the task manager that clicks with my brain the best. I was on Things for a while, but I tried Todoist and I found that inputting tasks, organizing them, and scheduling them had much less friction to it, even if the app itself isn’t super pretty.

1 Like

I may watch a few YouTube videos and I may give it a short trial but I doubt that I will find something so compelling that I’m willing to invest $60 a year in the app. Like I said above, it would have to offer features and provide workflows significantly better than what I’m able to accomplish with my current default apps to justify any subscription, let alone one that high. But, again, given the rave reviews, I will at least give it a careful look.

I revived this thread with some thoughts after reading this comment.

Sorry about that! :wink: If you decide to try it, let us know what you think. NotePlan, like every other app, isn’t for everyone. And it’s definitely hard to compete with the price of the default apps, especially if they’re working well for you.

and @grs I spent some time giving NotePlan 3 a closer look through YouTube. I’m not going to download a trial. It is a fine program but there are not enough standout features to justify disrupting my workflow, which is working extremely well, and certainly not enough in the program given my needs to justify a $60/year subscription. So, I’m going to resist the incessant siren call to try new apps. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I’ll co-sign. Tried it out again tonight for the first time in maybe a year and almost immediately remembered why it’s not for me. After spending so much time in Craft and Notion, thinking through a directory structure for meeting notes just felt too Byzantine. And I found the task structure visually overwhelming, but it didn’t provide enough tools to make that visual overload worth it.

I’m so glad this app exists for those of you it clicks with, though. That all being said, I’m still happy with Omnifocus (even if I have nightmares about v4’s design) and Craft in tandem.

Thanks for the nudge to try something new to me, as always.

1 Like

I had a similar experience with Todoist. The gamification aspect, while fun at first, can get unhealthy if you allow it to take over. But it was Todoist that helped me figure out how to organise myself. I eventually switched to Reminders because I realised that I’d simplified my task management to the point where Todoist was overkill for my needs.

I always tend to make things too complicated. I really enjoy trying new tools and leaning more software.

As much as I like NotePlan and think it’s great tool, I’m going back to Reminders and Fantastical along with Bear for notes. Trying to remember to keep things simple, for I don’t have any need for more complication.

3 Likes

I’m usually relieved when I decide that I don’t need an app or that it doesn’t work well for me, because it’s one less thing on my to-do list (learning a new app).

4 Likes

I think there are lower-priced subscription levels for NotePlan. I pay the $60 gladly. The developer works hard and updates the app with significant features almost every month. Compared to the snail’s pace of Things and OmniFocus, it is a welcome change. I want him to make money so he will keep improving the software.

2 Likes