[poll] which is your primary PKM note taking app?

My issue for me is that I do not want to give up my own folder structure on iCloud that EagleFiler respects so well and most markdown editors try to mess with that. For example, if you edit a Markdown file with Drafts it will copy it to its own folder, which can be nice if you only intend to edit .md files but in my vault I store basically everything. So, depending on the week I am using some md editor or the other. Pandas (from the Bear team) is nice, Macdown is rough but usable, and other days I just use good old Textmate.

I also use Agenda to take meeting notes, but then I promptly move those notes to EagleFiler.

1 Like

I would use Drafts but not being able to tab indent a bullet point is infuriating.

1 Like

I feel left outā€¦ I donā€™t have a PKMā€¦.

For notes tidbits, I just Apple Notes

5 Likes

I live in Craft these days.

Shameless plug for my recent post on top apps where I covered Craft extensively

3 Likes

Iā€™m trying Drafts but I feel, for my needs, Apple Notes with tags would be enough

FSNotes. Which is a note taking app with extras. Not sure how much that differs from a PKM.

1 Like

The eternal beta.
ā€¦

5 Likes

?

No need to feel left out! If it serves your needs, Apple Notes can be really useful. I very much appreciate the functionality that my PKM set-up providesā€” being able to:

• filter not just for notes but also for blocks within notes
  • stitch together a comprehensive view of related information across notes
  • view my notes through a variety of perspectives (e.g. I can filter my notes by a specific tag/term and view them on a timeline)
  • easily create links between my active notes, my tasks, my calendar items and reference materials (e.g. my ā€œnew projectā€ action creates a draft, an iThoughts map and a reminder with one click, all linked to each other)
  • publish notes to different platforms direct from my PKM
    etc etcā€¦

This kind of functionally suits the way I work, personally, but if someone just needs a notes app without all the cross-linking and slicing/dicing of information, whatever you use that suits your needs appropriately is all good. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You asked for primary so I voted for Obsidian, but Iā€™m using The Archive as well. Hoping for the Bear 2.0 update to ditch Obsidian.

2 Likes

No matter which notes app you choose, it is great when you find one that can make you feel at home!

2 Likes

I use Obsidian, but I keep the Markdown syntax standard to keep migration easy in the future. Although the Dataview plug-in is tempting.

1 Like

A combination of Agenda, Craft, and DEVONthink.

Somewhat amazed no one has mentioned OneNote.

I have years of historic notes there, mostly my PKM for my masterā€™s, and it was (and still is to great extent) super convenient due to its cross-platform features and the web client, the iPadOS app has always been relatively feature-rich and stable and the Apple Pencil support has always been pretty good. I wish Obsidian or Craft were a thing just couple of years ago as I would have used them for my masterā€™s instead of OneNote, where my notes are now somewhat stuck and difficult to export from.

Now I mostly use a combination of Bear (fleeting notes, things that usually end up either deleted/archived or moved to another app if relevant), Craft and Obsidian (I just canā€™t settle for just one of these ā€” I use Craft mostly where I would have used OneNote previously, like meeting and client notes and such, and Iā€™m trying to build my PKM for topics I like to follow and might find relevant one day for a PhD in Obsidian).

I also use DEVONthink for document management, readings and annotating.

1 Like

I love some of the ways Obsidian, NotePlan, etc. have extended some elements of Markdown.

Iā€™m sad they donā€™t do it in a way that maintains the basic functionality of markdown.

So iirc, linking to a heading in Obsidian is something like [[note_title#heading]] ā€¦ which will not work at all in a number of other apps that use wiki linking but not that specific syntax.

Instead, they could have made a heading link look like this: [[note_title]]#heading ā€“ and it at least would bring the user to the right note in another app, even if the app didnā€™t support the same heading-linking convention.

Itā€™s really disappointing for an app that makes note permanence a core goal.

I agree about the lack of solid outlining ability in Drafts. The app has so many excellent qualities but this problem has become a non-negotiable.

1 Like

I donā€™t think you can assign this to the tab key

You indeed can. I know for sure you can on i(Pad)OS; havenā€™t done so on macOS, but Iā€™m assuming it remains consistentā€¦

1 Like

I only care about iPadOS - will give it a go! Thanks!

1 Like

True, Drafts isnā€™t a dedicated outliner, but what specific functionality is actually missing, from your perspective?

(Apologies to OP if all this Drafts related talk is drawing away from the topic of the original postā€¦)