POLL: Which Music service do you predominately use?

Maybe, but there is no desktop app. Which is why I’ve never even considered it. That and the fact that I’m not Alphabet’s biggest fan.

IMO, Google’s desktop app is the Chrome browser. I need a chromium browser to use with what appears to be an increasing number of sites that don’t work well with desktop Safari. So I use Google Chrome, almost exclusively with Google services.

The way I look at it both Google and Apple know a disturbing amount of information about us, but neither share it and only use it to make money for themselves. In any event, with the exception of our medical data (in the U.S.) there is very little that either can learn about us that isn’t already widely available.

this may be OT for this thread but I thought Google has been very clear what data they have on us and how to use that? You can check that out on your account page

I switched from Apple to spotify after Apple’s block of explicit music kept failing. They wouldn’t fix it so I switched. It seems if you have a family account and you are the admin, that there’s a problem with filtering out explicit music on the admin account.

Thanks, it’s been a while since I read Google’s privacy statement, etc. but in general, Google sells targeted ads, not specifics about us. IMO, if they shared our details no one would need to buy ads from Google. And rather than highjack this thread I’ll sign off with that.

People who said they do not subscribe to streaming music, can you please share what do you use as an alternative?

@MereCivilian Do you think it would be good idea if we add this to your post so people can comment? Not sure people will scroll down to this comment share what alternatives they have. Up to you!

EDIT: Out of context but just looked at your blog and it looks so clean and minimal. Sleek is the word that comes to mind.

1 Like

I’m the wife :wink: My husband is the audiophile.

I don’t spend much time with the editorial content, really—it’s neither an inducement to keep subscribing nor a reason to leave for another service. I LOVE having access to PDFs of the CD inserts—very handy for texts and translations and opera libretti. We opted for Qobuz because of its strength in classical music, but they seem to have everything else, too.

1 Like

Not everyone has Apple devices. The “education” audience is also bigger than just K-12 or college classroom learners.

2 Likes

Spotify - however recent developments with Joe Rogan have our family questioning whether stay with Spotify. We will give it another 6-8 weeks and if he hasn’t evolved we will leave Spotify for Apple Music.

Of course it is. Museums, research facilities… I could easily come up with 20.

Gah, very sorry! Thanks—I think I’d appreciate those liner PDFs too.

1 Like

I generally super happy with Music. Lately there has been a ban hammer on some music I love.

Biggest example is the album Sign of the Hammer by Manowar. It has album art that resembles symbolism from the third reich, so they banned it.

Even in Germany, where we are super aware of these things, this album was sold in record stores.
Does anybody know if it is on Spotify?

It’s available in the UK on Amazon Music. I don’t have any way of testing if it’s available in Germany.

Interesting, I will have to think about switching my streaming.

Testing out Apple Music here. Does anyone know whether it is possible to do advanced search like in Spotify? I wan’t to search for albums by year, so in Spotify I can do a search like this: year:1966 and that will find songs and albums from 1966 - is this possible in Apple music? Haven’t found any information on the internet so far!

I don’t want Google Chrome on my computer. I like my M1’s long battery life too much. If I can’t get website to work in Safari I use Microsoft Edge. Besides, I don’t like using web browser for “everything” and I dislike the trend of replacing desktop/mobile apps with their web counterparts.

And it’s somewhat funny how I used a fairly neutral “I’m not Alphabet’s biggest fan” and it was immediately assumed that the privacy angle is what I meant. I am aware that both companies collect vast quantities of user data. It’s less of a concern for me since I live in the EU which has more stringent laws than the U.S. (generally saying, I don’t want to utterly derail this thread in that direction). I just dislike the company for many reasons (eg. subpar native apps’ design, clearly visible on iOS) and I only use their services when there’s no reasonable alternative. Music streaming is fortunately quite competitive.

2 Likes

No worries! I forgot to answer your question about our plan: we share a single studio premier subscription. Our taste in music is pretty similar and since we both work from home and primarily access Qubuz via our Roon set up we haven’t bumped up against any restrictions on the number of users / devices.

I don’t know what the limitations are now, but in the working-in-an-office beforetimes only one user could use the app on a mobile device at a time, so I never used Qobuz’ mobile app much. I played around with it yesterday, and the UI is more to my taste than Apple Music’s, so I’m going to try using it for a while. For one thing, it’s easy to check out the track credits and find more information on the artist (e.g., their discography) while you’re listening.

1 Like

Apple Music …I have a Tidal account for when start using Roon more effectively. Tidal give me a nice Military discount so basic account is $5.99

people may be interested to read this post from TechCrunch

interesting chart

I had no idea Pandora was so popular. I haven’t used that service in years. What does it have that’s different from Spotify or Apple Music?