POLL: Which Music service do you predominately use?

I am surprised no one mentioned/uses YouTube Music. I just recently moved to it from Spotify and find it equally good. Plus you can watch YouTube ad free and in background on mobile. YouTube has more songs from individual creators and also allow you to upload your own songs to your library which is awesome!

I am super happy I have stopped paying $9.99/month (as an individual user) and pay $3/month (for YouTube premium + music, in family plan)

EDIT: I also like the fact that YouTube Music is just a music app rather than bundling postcasts/radio etc. into a single app (like Spotify does; takes more clicks to do things; becomes overloadad)

1 Like

I subscribed to YouTube Premium ($12/month for no ads, etc.) early in the first covid wave but didnā€™t try their Music service for a couple of months. When I did I found the music selection virtually identical to Apple Music. And with a simple Shortcut, I can ā€œaskā€ Siri to summon the Google Assistant to request music and information, etc.

I have no need or desire for lossless or spatial music (I grew up listening to AM radio) so YouTube Music offers everything I need.

Spotify, but Iā€™ve been thinking of switching to Tidal after the whole Joe Rogan thing a couple of weeks ago. Pricing seems to be the same, and both have Roku apps, which should let me use both on my Roku TV. If anyone else has Tidal Iā€™d love to year how the experience has been, (especially if you switched from Spotify).

Looks niceā€“I didnā€™t realize theyā€™d come to the states.

How do you find the editorial content and album extra content? Any annoying quirks with the service? Do you and your wife use the duo plan?

Iā€™ve had an issue where the song wonā€™t play and have had to do a reset.

I use both YouTube Music and Apple Music (as part of Apple One 2T family plan) but I preferred YouTube Music for videos and bigger variety of Asian musical selection. One BIG advantage of YouTube Music is the large amount of ā€œmusicā€ uploaded by others.

However, I do like the lyrics feature of Apple Music

This!

Yeah, this would be good to have, maybe in the future

Maybe you already know, but for $17.99/month, you can add 5 more people to the family/friends plan. Just trying to save you money!

1 Like

Maybe, but there is no desktop app. Which is why Iā€™ve never even considered it. That and the fact that Iā€™m not Alphabetā€™s biggest fan.

IMO, Googleā€™s desktop app is the Chrome browser. I need a chromium browser to use with what appears to be an increasing number of sites that donā€™t work well with desktop Safari. So I use Google Chrome, almost exclusively with Google services.

The way I look at it both Google and Apple know a disturbing amount of information about us, but neither share it and only use it to make money for themselves. In any event, with the exception of our medical data (in the U.S.) there is very little that either can learn about us that isnā€™t already widely available.

this may be OT for this thread but I thought Google has been very clear what data they have on us and how to use that? You can check that out on your account page

I switched from Apple to spotify after Appleā€™s block of explicit music kept failing. They wouldnā€™t fix it so I switched. It seems if you have a family account and you are the admin, that thereā€™s a problem with filtering out explicit music on the admin account.

Thanks, itā€™s been a while since I read Googleā€™s privacy statement, etc. but in general, Google sells targeted ads, not specifics about us. IMO, if they shared our details no one would need to buy ads from Google. And rather than highjack this thread Iā€™ll sign off with that.

People who said they do not subscribe to streaming music, can you please share what do you use as an alternative?

@MereCivilian Do you think it would be good idea if we add this to your post so people can comment? Not sure people will scroll down to this comment share what alternatives they have. Up to you!

EDIT: Out of context but just looked at your blog and it looks so clean and minimal. Sleek is the word that comes to mind.

1 Like

Iā€™m the wife :wink: My husband is the audiophile.

I donā€™t spend much time with the editorial content, reallyā€”itā€™s neither an inducement to keep subscribing nor a reason to leave for another service. I LOVE having access to PDFs of the CD insertsā€”very handy for texts and translations and opera libretti. We opted for Qobuz because of its strength in classical music, but they seem to have everything else, too.

1 Like

Not everyone has Apple devices. The ā€œeducationā€ audience is also bigger than just K-12 or college classroom learners.

2 Likes

Spotify - however recent developments with Joe Rogan have our family questioning whether stay with Spotify. We will give it another 6-8 weeks and if he hasnā€™t evolved we will leave Spotify for Apple Music.

Of course it is. Museums, research facilitiesā€¦ I could easily come up with 20.

Gah, very sorry! Thanksā€”I think Iā€™d appreciate those liner PDFs too.

1 Like

I generally super happy with ļ£æMusic. Lately there has been a ban hammer on some music I love.

Biggest example is the album Sign of the Hammer by Manowar. It has album art that resembles symbolism from the third reich, so they banned it.

Even in Germany, where we are super aware of these things, this album was sold in record stores.
Does anybody know if it is on Spotify?