POLL: Which Music service do you predominately use?

It’s available in the UK on Amazon Music. I don’t have any way of testing if it’s available in Germany.

Interesting, I will have to think about switching my streaming.

Testing out Apple Music here. Does anyone know whether it is possible to do advanced search like in Spotify? I wan’t to search for albums by year, so in Spotify I can do a search like this: year:1966 and that will find songs and albums from 1966 - is this possible in Apple music? Haven’t found any information on the internet so far!

I don’t want Google Chrome on my computer. I like my M1’s long battery life too much. If I can’t get website to work in Safari I use Microsoft Edge. Besides, I don’t like using web browser for “everything” and I dislike the trend of replacing desktop/mobile apps with their web counterparts.

And it’s somewhat funny how I used a fairly neutral “I’m not Alphabet’s biggest fan” and it was immediately assumed that the privacy angle is what I meant. I am aware that both companies collect vast quantities of user data. It’s less of a concern for me since I live in the EU which has more stringent laws than the U.S. (generally saying, I don’t want to utterly derail this thread in that direction). I just dislike the company for many reasons (eg. subpar native apps’ design, clearly visible on iOS) and I only use their services when there’s no reasonable alternative. Music streaming is fortunately quite competitive.

2 Likes

No worries! I forgot to answer your question about our plan: we share a single studio premier subscription. Our taste in music is pretty similar and since we both work from home and primarily access Qubuz via our Roon set up we haven’t bumped up against any restrictions on the number of users / devices.

I don’t know what the limitations are now, but in the working-in-an-office beforetimes only one user could use the app on a mobile device at a time, so I never used Qobuz’ mobile app much. I played around with it yesterday, and the UI is more to my taste than Apple Music’s, so I’m going to try using it for a while. For one thing, it’s easy to check out the track credits and find more information on the artist (e.g., their discography) while you’re listening.

1 Like

Apple Music …I have a Tidal account for when start using Roon more effectively. Tidal give me a nice Military discount so basic account is $5.99

people may be interested to read this post from TechCrunch

interesting chart

I had no idea Pandora was so popular. I haven’t used that service in years. What does it have that’s different from Spotify or Apple Music?

Tidal for me. Has nice apps plus Roon integration.

1 Like

I have no idea, never use Pandora, probably not available on this neck of the woods anyway.

Interesting to note that the forecast is YouTube music will overtake Apple Music by 2023 and I am not surprised.

My favourite choice is YouTube Music too

I may return to YouTube music, having had a trial late last year. I find the music a bit of a mess of official and user uploaded content, but it’s fine. Being able to listen to YT videos, especially lectures and discussions, in the car is a neat bonus.

I was definitely in the same mindset TBH thinking Spotify had better and curated music content. But I was wrong, YT music has more music content, especially since small creators don’t have to pay YT. Some of my most loved songs are not on Spotify but on YouTube.

Main stream songs are uploaded by the music production company’s channel so they are the same on YT and Spotify. On YT music, the “Top Result” search result returns the official song in 99.99% of the cases that I saw. Of course, YT search is backed by the best search engine

2 Likes

agreed, this is one of the best features that I love about YT music. Especially there seems to have some privately or curated collections of re-mastered musical pieces for old songs

2 Likes