PopClip is leaving Mac App Store

FYI

Doesn’t matter much to me as I prefer to download from dev’s website. But few people who use it might need to download the latest one

10 Likes

I had the Mac App Store version installed and followed the instructions to move to the standalone version.

All good at my end.

2 Likes

Downloaded the dev version, replaced the MAS version in applications folder and it detected the license and extensions.

Super smooth transition.

3 Likes

Thank you @andy4222 for this warning. Popclip is one of the first apps I install. I checked my invoice history and I bought it in 2012, for £2.99. I think I should probably buy it again!

1 Like

Sandboxing is “still” an issue? Sheesh

1 Like

What is PopClip and why do you like it?

Sometimes I’m honestly amazed utilities that hook into the system like that were ever allowed on the Mac App Store in the first place. (That’s a criticism of Apple, not PopClip.)

I bought PopClip 10 years ago (I just looked for my receipt). I go back and forth with it. Right now, I’m not using it. However, it’s installed and I realized I’m getting it via Setapp which is nice. Perhaps this is a good reminder to use it again.

I bought PopClip because I thought it sounded like the most ridiculous, stupid app I’d ever seen. This thing makes fart apps sound intelligent, I thought.

And now I use it ever day. It is a great app.

10 Likes

I signed up for an account here on MPU just to show my appreciation for this comment. I’m glad I wasn’t drinking my tea when I read it :joy:

Glad to see this.

—Nick, PopClip dev

20 Likes

Ha! I’m glad you enjoyed it—and did not waste good tea.

1 Like

Since @pilotmoon has finally joined, I nominate him to be invited as MPU guest!!! Pleasee @MacSparky @ismh

3 Likes

my heart skipped a beat because i use popclip a hundred or more times a day and life would not be worth living without it. ok i exaggerate. but the transition was seamless.

(edited because i am an idiot.)

3 Likes

To be honest though I wouldn’t be super reliant on these sorts of system apps. These apps that hook into the system using Accessibility and other niche APIs that were introduced 20+ years ago and have been largely untouched since then, and I wouldn’t be surprised if Apple slowly removes them for privacy/security reasons.

IMO, a good way to future-proof your Mac software setup is to primarily rely on apps that are eligible for the Mac App Store as those have the best chance of surviving a new OS release.

1 Like

i am on old man so i am not future proof either :slight_smile: and i have eight nine old computers none of which run an os later than montery so i am not affected by useful software becoming obsolete,

2 Likes

I’m much more concerned about apps that lock my user data into proprietary databases and file formats or store them on someone’s cloud that could be shut down someday.

If utilities that simply make macOS easier to use and help me work more effiently go away, it will be disappointing but I won’t be any worse off than I was before I started using them.

6 Likes

Thank you for the heads-up. I’ve been using Popclip since launch, and I forgot it was even there, as I’ve used it regularly over the years.

I replaced the MAS version with the standalone. The dev said he’s getting some monthly income from Setapp, so I’m replacing the standalone version with the Setapp version.

1 Like

Great app that I use every day.
I bought it originally from the Mac App Store and it was still working.
I had subsequently taken out a SetApp subscription, but did not replace any App Store versions already installed.
I have just loaded and enabled the SetApp version of PopClip, and disabled the App Store version. All my Actions and settings were retained without having reload them.

1 Like

It seems like your approach involves missing out on great apps and conveniences now out of a fear that you might have to find another solution in a hypothetical future? Am I missing something? If not, thats not a trade off I’d make, myself.

3 Likes

Popclip is fantastic!

1 Like