Portable Document Scanners & uploading scans securely to the cloud

Hi all, I’m in the market for a portable document scanner and am researching the various options offered by Fujitsu, Brother and others. One feature that seems to be common among all the providers is the ability to scan and upload to a cloud service like Dropbox, Google Drive, or Box using the manufacturer’s intermediary service, for example Brother Connect or ScanSnap Cloud.

I’m curious if anyone here has experience with either Brother Connect or ScanSnap Cloud and if so, if there is an option to securely scan your documents to the cloud. I am queasy at the thought of using an intermediary service like that to upload documents like bills that include private information and I want to make sure any such scans are uploaded securely. Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Marc

@marcgeorges, what type of documents are you scanning? For example, books might need one sort of solution, versus scanning loose handouts from a lecture.

Entirely loose sheets, no books.

I have a hard time believing that Brother or Fujitsu are using their own services as intermediaries if you specify Dropbox or other providers as your target. There is no reason for them to manage the bandwidth, storage and back-end connections if the scanned files are not residing in their storage solutions.

Most data transfers are encrypted “in flight” between end points today, but not on drive at the cloud provider end. Usually the copy on your Dropbox connected and synced drives are also unencrypted. Strong passwords and keeping malware off your systems are needed to reduce the risk of unauthorized access to your data.

That’s super helpful, thanks so much

1 Like