Potential restoration risk asking: restore from TM backup and multiple attempts

Hey all,

I’ve encountered some issues I need to restore my laptop from one of two TM backup files. I accidentally change my user name folder, which create a new user accidentally, and my current one(main account) become a new user, I need to start all over. All my preference and setting are gone.

For some reason, choose the latest one didn’t quite fit my need, because before this newly encountered issue, that version has some data loss I need to recover from an older version. But here’s comes my question, I’m not sure the old version contain everything I need to recover. I need to restore it first, then to explore if it contain everything I need.

I’m facing a choice now: (1) choose the latest version, and tried to look for those data I lost from old computer, and move them to my new one by hand. It’s lost in old computer too, I need to find them back via Ulysses’s versioning on old Mac Air by hand. But that’s a lot data to recover, it would take me some time to recover them all by hand.
And I lost some of vaults from Obsidian, I did found back other older backup on cloud drive, but I’m not sure if the older version TM contains the latest version of them before they got lost.

(2) choose the older version, but those new files I create and download would be gone once I restore the version from almost half year ago. But it is the version possibility contain everything I need to recover, so I can save some time to move them around by hand. Yet I need to find ways to move some other new files to elsewhere and move them back and it’s location once I install the older version. So , it’s still quite amount of manual work.

I want to ask:

1. If I restore the older version, and I didn’t satisfied what I find, can I restore it again right after I’ve restore to the latest one? Would I expect to loss anything or something during this multiple restoration attempt?
  2. Is if possible after I restore to older version, the newly create user would be gone after this restoration? Or would it still be there, no matter which version I choose to restore?

I’m not sure which one would be more safe, just need a bit more time to restore, or which way is actually include higher risk about the process, if anyone who has similar experience like this, please do share with me. :pray:

Thanks in advance!

You may be able to recover your original account:

1 Like

Thank you! I haven’t read this before, hope I know it exist before I made those reckless changes on my desktop… Not sure if it help me to solve my situation, but it give me a chance to review my situation from a new angle. User name file can be renamed, just need to follow the steps very carefully.

1 Like