Presenting Keynote over Zoom from iPhone

Hi all. I have been delivering trainings over Zoom since COVID hit. Generally I use the “screen share” functionality of Zoom on my laptop to share my Keynote presentation. For a variety of reasons, I would like to be able to present from my phone. It seems silly for me to buy another webcam when the camera on my iPhone is perfectly capable. The problem is, I don’t see a way to screen share a Keynote presentation. When I select “Share Content” from my iOS (phone or iPad) Zoom app, the options are screen, photos, iCloud Drive, website, bookmark. My Keynotes live in iCloud and I can open them, but they “present” as a pdf. I don’t have transitions or builds and I have to manually scroll through the slides. Is there any way to do this? Here are my reasons for wanting to present Keynote presentations from the phone:

• better camera on the phone vs my Mac laptop
  • I could use the laptop as a “second screen” to be able to see chat window
  • Data connectivity. I live in a rural area and my wireless plan on my AT&T phone is better than my wifi. I’m on an “unlimited” data plan

Any recommendations for how to do this?

Thanks so much!
Doty

1 Like

Have you tried sharing the screen? It will start a “Screen Broadcast”, which mirrors your entire iPhone screen. If you play the Keynote it should show up as expected. Since it’s mirroring the screen, you’ll get notifications and all, so you’ll need mess with DND or your notification settings to minimize the noise. Have you tried this way?

Yes I have. It doesn’t present as a “Keynote.” It is as if my Keynote is a pdf. All I can do is scroll through it.

hmm I just tried this & was able to screen share then switch to keynote and start my presentation just fine. You’ll see an intervening screen with a Zoom logo and option to turn on your mic if you’re doing it as @evanfuchs suggested

When I hit “share content” from Zoom I’m presented with this popup.

“Screen” doesn’t work as when I click that Keynote is not one of the available apps. The only way I can open a Keynote document is through the “iCloud Drive” option. But as I’ve said it’s presenting as if I am opening the Keynote in Preview, not actual Keynote where I can advance slides remotely and with builds and transitions.

Are you all doing this differently?

Keynote does not show as an available app for me either. I should have been more clear. By “share screen” I meant tap on “Screen” to get a prompt to start a “Screen Broadcast”

Once you start the broadcast, after a 3 second countdown, it mirrors the iPhone. Launch Keynote, open the deck, hit play.

2 Likes

Consider joining the Zoom meeting from both your Mac and your iPhone. You could use the iPhone for your audio and video and the Mac for screen sharing (with audio and video disabled).

As others have noted, it’s possible to share your screen from an iPhone (or iPad), but it doesn’t work very well in my opinion. It’s laggy and your video feed isn’t visible to meeting participants when you’re in an app other than Zoom.

1 Like

I was wondering the same thing recently, and @evanfuchs is right. You use the “Screen recording” feature and select the supported apps there. The last used app will also be the default selection for your next session.

As a quick way to start sharing, I suggest you add the “Screen recording” widget to the Control Center.

I do this all the time, and as evanfuchs pointed out you need to first start screen broadcast then switch to another app, the whole of iOS is shared.

An important note though: it is not stable on WiFi or cellular, I tried both, and the screen sharing often disconnects. I have excellent WiFi (5ghz) and sit next to the router, and I have tried it on other WiFi networks, but it still is not good for screen sharing. If I connect my iPad using a USB-C to Ethernet adaptor and it is 100% stable, I have shared presentations for 4+ hours with the cabled setup and it is rock solid.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing that Rob. My wifi has been unstable and the ISP seems unable to fix the problem of me dropping a lot of packets. I was hoping to use this setup through the phone to present off of my data plan. Occasionally, I’ve been kicked off when my wifi goes out and reconnected from my iPhone hotspot on my computer. that works, but while I have unlimited data, my hotspot data is quite limited. I’m in a rural area that doesn’t have better wifi options. It sounds like I might need to go back to square one.

This is an interesting thought, Tim. I’ve been joining Zoom from two computers so that I can have chat and more participant thumbnails on one screen while my main presenting screen is taken up with the Keynote presentation. I had not thought of joining from a phone and computer. So you’re saying I could use the iPhone for video and audio and share Keynote from the computer. Hmmm. I guess that would improve the quality of my video and in a pinch I could have my phone on LTE data if I’m worried my wifi will drop out. Has anyone tried such a thing? I think it would be good to have a mount for my phone to be at a good angle.

So you’re saying I could use the iPhone for video and audio and share Keynote from the computer. Hmmm. I guess that would improve the quality of my video and in a pinch I could have my phone on LTE data if I’m worried my wifi will drop out.

Exactly. When screen sharing is off, you could also use your Mac to view video videos in Gallery and Speaker view.

I think it would be good to have a mount for my phone to be at a good angle.

I recommend putting your iPhone on a tripod.

I have a Glif that I can attach to a standard tripod. There are tripods also available that include an iPhone mount.