Printing from iOS to non-AirPrint printer?

I rarely need to print from my iPad, but tonight was one of those rare times, so I fired up my trusty Printer Pro from Readdle. It worked, but notified me that they had discontinued development of it.

I’ve got an old HP Deskjet that isn’t AirPrint compatible. I really don’t want to replace it (although ink cartridges for it are getting harder to find), so I’m wondering if any of you have any solutions for printing to non-AirPrint devices.

Thanks for any ideas!

-Eric

Printopia will allow you to print from any device.

3 Likes

Another shoutout for Printopia. I’ve been using it for years, and it continues to serve me well.

Yep, I got it over 10 years ago in some bundle. I have bought all of their updates. I love it.

1 Like

I had an old Brother black and white laser printer , without WiFi, that I wanted to put on our wireless network. It took some tinkering, but I got it working with a Raspberry Pi.

Every 6 months or so I have to reboot the pi. Otherwise it has worked flawlessly for 2-3 years now.

I can dig up my notes on how I did it if anyone is interested.

Edit: If you have an always-on Mac, Printopia is probably easier. I didn’t.

1 Like

Thanks, everyone! Raspberry Pi is more than I’m willing to tackle. I’ll look into Printopia and while I don’t have an “always on” Mac now, that might be changing as my wife and I are upgrading old MacBooks (a 2016 Pro and a 2015 Air) with current models.

-Eric

1 Like

@macsorcery @timstringer Question about Printopia. Does it work for printing from a Mac as well? I looked at the documentation on the Decisive Tactics site and found no mention of Mac to Mac printing, only iPhone and iPad were mentioned.

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Haven’t used Printopia in ages but I don’t see why it shouldn’t work from Macs. Macs do support printing via AirPrint.

1 Like

if the mac is on your network, yes.

Great, thank you.

Update: I gave it a try today and it worked perfectly. Thanks again.

I was just dealing with this issue for my printer, struggling to print via Mac or mobile devices. Thank you for the app recommendation!