Productivity books - must reads, greatest impact?

I see the book is available as both book and audiobook. In your opinion, is it the sort of book that benefits substantially from the printed format? Or would the audio be just as good for somebody who does audiobooks more than printed?

Hm.
Well, this is one of the books I go all in on, and have Kindle, Audible, and paper copies of.
I would probably prefer printed or Kindle, as there were some things I used to set up my system, and it would have been tedious to find them again in the Audible book.
I haven’t listened to the Audible book, but plan to while commuting.

Ah, it’s a “both/and”. Those are fun. :smiley: Thanks!

1 Like

@JohnAtl Is there a free sample of that book?

It’s on Kindle, so you could get the Kindle free sample.

1 Like

I loved this thread, so I compiled a table for every book mentioned, sorted by the number of mentions.

Page is open to editing :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Nice work Tav, great resource. Thank you :grinning:

1 Like

The Books that have had a deep positive impact on my life and productivity are:

Atomic Habits by James Clear
The War of Art by Steven Pressfield
Anything You Want by Derek Sivers
Go Wild by Richard Manning, John Ratey
Why We Sleep by Mathew Walker
Compound Effect by Darren Hardy

I’ve updated the notion table with these votes.

Is this the same book in US: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FGV64B1/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_tkin_p1_i0

Yes, I think so: the subtitle is different (it’s Time and How to Use it in the UK), but it’s otherwise the same.

HTH

2 Likes

Thank you for doing this. It’s very useful!

1 Like

You might also enjoy Time and the Art of Living by Robert Grudin (if you’re not already familiar)? Not a “productivity” or “self-help” text as such, more philosophical, but from the sounds of what you’ve written, it should serve as a solid complement.

Thanks for the recommendation!

I read that years ago, and I second the recommendation. It’s a good book.

1 Like

Did you buy the “complete package” that includes the additional screencasts?
It sounds interesting, but it is quite pricey compared to just getting the kindle version. In the past I often was disappointed by those “upsell perks”, which seems to be a new trend.

I grabbed it, and it seems that the videos are more for people who learn better that way - rather than adding substantial additional content. It is nice to have the un-DRM’d ePub, Mobi, and PDF files though.

2 Likes

Thank you for the immediate and honest reply!
Am I seeing correctly that the audiobook isn’t even part of the package? Or is it just missing in the list?

Correct - it’s not part of the package. I’m guessing it’s Audible exclusive.

1 Like

Thanks for the review. I’ve heard good things and am an email subscriber of his. I plan to read this one soon.

I have to say I agree with his thought that becoming more productive/efficient just leads to more work. I’ve found that in my 20 year career as an accountant. Being more efficient (getting things done!) just leads to more being piled on, while the less efficient folks maintain a lighter workload. I can’t totally speak to whether the levels of compensation are similar between myself and my less efficient co-workers. I have gotten better at saying “no” as I’ve matured in my career. Or perhaps, this is just a possible (major) downside of capitalism.

3 Likes

Ah, I didn’t know about that.
I bought physical, kindle, and audible books on Amazon.
I might buy it anyway to support the author, and for the videos.

1 Like