PSA - Matter is not (yet) ready for prime time

So Eve has released Matter support for some of their devices to early adopters that also have upgraded to iOS 16.2

Clearly it is not ready. From a friend that is a hardware/software guru who just upgraded one of his Eve smartplugs to the Matter firmware:

"If you don’t want to lose any Eve Energy features then I wouldn’t advise you to upgrade to Matter. It’s enough that I’ve already done it.

The fact that Matter does not support measuring power consumption is not new, but after updating to Matter, even in the Eve app, all functions have disappeared, including on device timers, power consumption, historical data.

Even device identification doesn’t work, but luckily there is still ON/OFF.

From a really decent smart plug, Matter made the simplest plugin like a cheap Google or Amazon plug for a premium price. It’s called innovation.

For my part, I certainly have no intention of updating any more of Eve devices to Matter for the foreseeable future.

Also, forget about any custom characteristics for use in 3rd party apps. There are none other than a firmware update. Everything is based only on Matter.

HomeKit will stay on top for a long time."

3 Likes

Thanks for the heads up

How do you know it’s a Matter issue and not an Eve issue?

(Not saying you’re wrong, but the explanation might help me in my decision about moving to the new HomeKit architecture)

1 Like

Thank you for this topic, it reminds me of the old proverb:

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

I am not sure that Matter is to blame. I would even say that it absolutely is about time that Matter enters the stage to really get Smart Home stuff working for everybody. But I guess, it may the other way round: there are a lot of ecosystems, apps and devices that are not ready for Matter yet (at least not without caveats or to their full extent).

I will wait some time until I really dig into Matter. Right now, I am fine with the devices I own and how they are working in their environment. It will be interesting to see how everything works and looks a few months from now. :slight_smile:

Matter is now available in Home Assistant (the 2022.12 release onwards). In their integration page it is clearly listed a being beta only. From a couple of reviews about this release from YouTube creators who make content on the subject, they are very clear that the Matter support is mainly for developers to test their equipment at the moment. They are not expecting everything to move to Matter straight away. Most things in Home Assistant will be staying on Zigbee, Z Wave or WiFi, certainly in the short term.

1 Like

I have the latest Apple TV 4K, supposed to support thread and Matter. I have a few Eve Energy thread devices (door / windows sensors, motion detector and energy monitors that are thread enabled). However, I do not see thread in the Apple Home app on iPhone. Any suggestion?

Ah, I see the Thread details on the Eve app now .

Always thanks for your input

1 Like

This is a thread from Reddit that I think is worth sharing here:

Bottom line is to use HomeKit where you can and Matter where you must.