Purchase Advice: External USB-C Hard Drive

I am looking to add a bit of storage (not a NAS…that is later) to my new Mac Mini for video footage and production. Looking for a USB-C drive and presumably I would benefit from high transfer rates. Are there any videographers that might chime in with some recommendations for me as a newbie in this area?

0 Likes

(Not a videographer :slight_smile:)

5 Likes

I personally like these OWC enclosures. Super fast USB chipset and you can swap out the drive as you need increasing storage.

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/ME6CM6EP500/

1 Like

I got a Samsung T5 as recommended by iJustine.

2 Likes

If you do not plan to take it with you, get an enclosure as advised by kennonb. Portable fast SSDs are still quite expensive. If you want a really fast portable SSD, get Samsung X5.

1 Like

I use both the Samsung T5 and Sandisk Extreme Portable. Both very small, very fast, and yes…very expensive. I give a +1 to the T5 because they have an activity LED.

1 Like

Is 1GB per minute correct? If so what is the backup system? Seems slow to me. I use CCC and am getting faster speeds than that with a cheap USB3 external spinning drive.

0 Likes

Yeah, I don’t think that was right.
Here are some DiskMark & Carbon Copy Cloner figures:

0 Likes

The connection itself isn’t a guaranty. Video editors I know resort to RAID for storage.

If you check out the thread below from last fall, an editor using FCPX on a MBP (with 512Mb internal SSD) was getting dropped frames from an external 4TB USB-C drive.

0 Likes

The most economical option is to buy a 2.5 inch internal SSD and an enclosure with a USB-C port. SSD drives have witnessed huge price drops in recent months, and you can easily get a 1 TB+ SATA SSD at a quite reasonable price. (I got a 1TB SSD plus an enclosure in January for less than $115 incl. tax.)

The final product may seem a little more clunky than a real portable SSD drive, but since you’re going to use it with a Mac mini at home, the appearance does not matter a lot.

If you’re looking for extreme performance, you can also buy a PCI-e SSD and a compatible enclosure. It’s very likely that it will still cost you less than a portable SSD with the same capacity, but bring ~2x speed.

2 Likes

Very nice data JohnAtl thank you!

1 Like