Quick Update: Lutron Caseta

Not entirely sure where this belongs. But wanted to share.

I have a handful of Wemo outlets around the house that work fine. And and EcoBee thermostat.

I have a dimmer switch for the lamp over my desk. Over the weekend I switched it out for a Lutron Caseta dimmer using the $99 kit that comes with the switch and hub. Everything worked the first try, hardware and software. No issues getting it talking to HomeKit. Going to do another switch later this week.

I was tempted to go with more Eero switches but after googling and asking around I got the vibe that Lutron was a more reliable option.

2 Likes

I have Lutron Caseta, very reliable. 2 summers ago, I swapped out almost every switch in the house for one of their switches or dimmers.

2 Likes

I keep meaning to check these out. This thread won’t help me push that off longer.

4 Likes

I’ve got Lutron Caseta switches as well as a smattering of other smart lights including Philips Hue. The Caseta light switches are the only ones that work for me all the time, every time. Hue lights disconnect or fail to respond every so often, but after owning the Lutron switches for 2+ years, I can’t think of a single time where that happened with them.

We just moved to a newly built home and I NEED to upgrade every light switch here. Cheap builder grade switches and outlets everywhere. The 3 way and 4 way switches they installed are driving me crazy.

Can you install a single CASETA dimmer switch on a 3 way connection and leave the manual switch(s) in place? I don’t want to use the PICO remotes either. I want to use HomeKit and tell Siri what to do.

Also has anyone found a source for discounts on the Lutron CASETA anywhere?

THIS^
This is the answer I have been trying to get for awhile. Thank you very much!!!

Can the PICO remote be reprogrammed for a different switch? That would help with a 4 way switch. The ceiling fan and light in our living room has 2 switches for the fan but 3 switches for the light. My thought is to purchase a switch/PICO combo for the front porch light and repurpose the PICO for the 3rd light switch. Hopefully my questions will help other folks as well.

Not sure if this will help or not.

I added a fan in one of the bedrooms. The fan has a light bulb in it. The bedroom has 4 LED cans.

Switch 1 - Lutron Dimmer controls the 4 cans
Switch 2 - Lutron Dimmer controls the light in the fan
Switch 3 - Lutron Fan Control controls the fan

I had an electrician do the wiring for this one.

For my staircase, it was a 3 way switch. I didn’t care for a dimmer option. I put the Lutron Smart on/off at the bottom of the staircase and left the manual (on/off) at the top of the staircase.

For the Kitchen, it’s a different setup…I have a total of 4 Lutron smart switches (not the dimmer). Each pair are on opposite sides of the kitchen

1 Like

So you left the original switch upstairs and installed the Lutron switch downstairs… are you having any issues with this???

Yes I did. No issues.

Marco and Casey waxed poetic about Lutron Caseta in the latest ATP.

Lutron Radio RA3 was just announced, major evolution for the mid-range and higher systems. No difference (at this time) for Caseta.

Interesting. I’m a little surprised there’s no mention of Thread or Matter. I know Matter isn’t finalized yet, but still.

I just started thinking about smart switches as I want to automate 3 outdoor lights to 1 switch. But we also hope to start a major kitchen reno at some point, so since we’re waiting anyways, I can wait to see how the Threat/Matter market shakes out.