RANT - Office 365 - for Pete's Sake

Permanently deleting a user, spam filtering, basically anything that needs configuration usually requires Azure use.

This is interesting to me. I’ve tended to see the opposite, especially dismay if there’s a threat of being forced away from shared Google Docs by people who only understand Word. I’d guess industry-specific and generational differences are in play.

2 Likes

As someone who uses Office 365 apps because everyone else uses them, I feel your pain. But however bad your pain is, it’s not as bad as the pain of using Office apps on Windows, which is where I periodically have to use them when I have to use my org-issued computer. At least the Mac versions still have the menu bar and the same key combinations as they have had for time immemorial. Dunno about the iPad. You have my sympathy if the app there is like the app on Windows. (It is probably obvious that I loathe the ribbons.)

1 Like

The problem with Microsoft help is you won’t find anything unless you use the Microsoft terms for what you are looking for. Obviously if you don’t know the name you won’t find it. Google search is better for getting help on Microsoft apps. For example “Microsoft Word how to xxxx”

3 Likes

I still use Keynote as much as possible and convert it to Powerpoint afterward. Trouble is, I have to check the formatting before sending. Pages for most documents.

But Excel, I cannot escape it. Numbers just not cutting it.

I just make a point of using Numbers wherever possible. I like the way worksheets are right sized for the content and there can be multiple worksheets on a page.

Sometimes I still have to use Excel when it’s something I have to get done and don’t have time to figure it out in Numbers.

I rarely use Numbers, but whoever programmed the csv import deserves a gold star (boomer term). When I open a download from my bank Numbers automatically creates a finished document.

I’ve found with large csv files Numbers doesn’t always import all the data. That’s made me stop using it.

Good to know.
…………….

This was also the reason I stopped using Numbers. I direct a data science degree and often get large CSV files sent to me. When I opened them with Numbers, parts of the datasets were lost with large files. Excel may be bloated but it handled the same files fine.

Good to know. My more modest spreadsheet needs have not turned up this problem (as far as I’ve noticed!) I’ve come to like Numbers a lot, but this is certainly something to keep an eye on.

I am curious how large of files these were, in terms of number of rows. I routinely get CSV files of 300K to 500K rows, 20-30 columns, and Numbers has been handling them without an issue. That being said, Excel does handle larger datasets better for me.

2 Likes

When I do my taxes every year I import csv with about 800-1,000 rows with about 8 columns and that is enough to cause some data loss on my system. That’s happened 3 times, so I’ve lost confidence, especially for financial data.

I’m very curious as to what data was missing. The last 300 lines? Random bits and pieces? Was there any pattern apparent to you? Did it help to split the input file into smaller pieces?

1 Like

I see this “problem” with CSV files that for some reason or another change the pattern of data/delimiters/etc. e.g. flaws. With large CSV text files I can imagine it would be hard for a person to spot them before importing.

1 Like

Rows of data were missing from the import. I don’t know how many as as soon as I spotted the error, I moved to excel and never had an issue there.

That is possible. However, Excel never has an issue so either it’s got a more robust import feature or the issue lies elsewhere. The data is exported from financial institutions or other finance software running on my mac.

I have not attempted to do this in Numbers for quite a few years now, so my problem may in fact be solved.

1 Like

Yup

The main reason that I don’t use it more.

So I have to use it some of the time.

2 Likes

I’m guessing you have the offending CSV files stored in your income tax folders … perhaps you could try again with the current version of Numbers and if still not working as expected perhaps show the missing records (make the text and numbers fake, but keep structure) here and pass on to Apple. They might be interested. People here might be interested if this problem of “quite a few years” ago is still worthy of attention now.

thanks.

1 Like

Excel may just have been more lax and accepting in parsing the input CSV – the way web browsers often try to show you something even if it is badly formed HTML.

Creating a CSV file in one app and loading it successfully in another app is not a slam dunk. It can get tricky and is not as straight-forward as people think. When converting away from 1Password, for example, I had to massage the CSV file it produced considerably to get it to load correctly.

1 Like

I find Numbers’ UI far preferable over Excel. However, Numbers is so slow with large(r) data sets that it becomes unusable. I have a 32k row dog pedigree data set which often takes 5-10 minutes to update its tables running through the functions and formuleas, a task that wouldnt take more than a few seconds in Excel.

I now only work minimally small projects in Numbers, big stuff goes to a combination of sqlite, pandas and DataGraph

Pages on the other hand, has entirely replaced Word for me. Yes i am missing some small functionality but by and large Pages does just fine and is wonderfully uncluttered as compared to Word.

But Keynote is the star of iWorks imho. It is so superior in its abilities to present and focus on the story with well placed animations; i have often been able to borrow from Apple’s power to impress the audience. I havent had a use for it the last few years but i do open some of my past presentations every now and then and have fun reminiscing.