Readwise - to do or not to do

So I have been on and off Readwise several times - I guess it is the group pressure that forces me to look into this app again and again. I really want to incorporate into my workflow but I always stop at importing since I only have pdfs and articles/websites gets clipped to DevonThink. Starting to use Pocket or Instapaper would be an extra cost I don’t need and in my professional field there isn’t a lot of e-books. Also Kindle hasn’t really been established in the Nordic countries yet.

So what do you think? Is there something I don’t see? Maybe wait and see what happens when the Readwise Reader premieres since it seems that it incorporates pdfs, read-it-later (I guess clipping) and RSS-feeds. Sounds like the only things I am missing from Readwise.

What are your thoughts?

If you do not highlight or take notes in iBooks or Kindle, or clip articles from the web or annotate them, then in my opinion Readwise is not needed. The consolidation of book highlights/annotations is the main draw for me. Readwise excels at that, especially now with the Obsidian plugin – which you can ignore of course if your don’t use Obsidian.

1 Like

I do use Obsidian, but as you say Readwise might not be for people who still have their old-style physical books, pdfs and DevonThink-clippings. :slightly_smiling_face:

Maybe wait and see for the reader-experience.

Well, getting PDF highlights into Readwise is certainly a pain. Here are the steps:

1. Email the highlighted PDF to add@readwise.io

Phew! :sweat_smile:

Kidding aside, they do say that it’s in a state of perpetual beta, and I haven’t tried it recently.
It might be worth trying though.

1 Like

ICYMI they have a cool feature for saving tweets, particularly threads. Just something to be aware of if you’re shopping features:

1 Like