Recommendation for a pool maintenance app

Does anyone have a suggestion for a swimming pool maintenance app? I just moved into a house with a pool, and I need some way to track the different things I have to do to maintain the pool and when I need to do them. Thanks for your help!

I’ve heard some good stories about iPool.

Seriously, why do you want a special app for that? Reminders, or any to do app should do the trick imo. Even a notebook (analog or on your computer) will probably be fine for the ‘task’.

1 Like

It’s more than just remembering to dump chemicals into the pool.

My local Home Depot gets a product from Pool Time.

https://www.pooltime.com

You download the app and enter in your profile (size of the pool and depth).

You buy the Pool testing strips or the water analysis kit from Home Depot. Dip the test strip in the water or or mix the different reagents in the testing kit. Then compare the colors to the bottle. Use the PoolTime app and tap the corresponding colors on the app. I think the testing kit is a bit more accurate than the test strips. You dip the testing kit into the water to collect a water sample. Then add a couple drops of some different test reagents. Then you’ll see the water color change. Enter the color into the PoolTime app to get your results.

The testing kits will test for pH, alkalinity, water hardness, chlorine levels.

Enter some extra descriptors (is the pool water cloudy? Is the pool water starting to look a little green?). Then you follow the instructions in the app.

Sometimes I’ve run into problems with it. I’ll get an algae bloom in the summer and will have to call the local pool company. That’s when it’s time to get the experts.

The best thing I’ve ever done was to just get a pool company to come in. Sometimes if they’re home, I’ll ask them a bunch of questions, bribe them with drinks and snacks. Then ask questions. See what they do and ask. Some of the pool guys like to talk and some just clam up. You’ll know who to talk to over time.

I’d rather delegate this to someone else. Maintaining a pool is not cheap. You always have to buy chemicals to raise/lower the pH, chlorine, and algicide.

I haven’t really looked lately but i think there are some other web sites that offers guidance. Then create a weekly/monthly checklist for maintaining your pool.

2 Likes

Oh, forgot to add. It’s cheaper if you buy the chemicals yourself. If you let the pool company use their chemicals, it will be a lot more expensive.

I get mine from the loca Home Depot. You should check some of the other hardware stores to see if they have pool chemicals in stock.

1 Like

Pool maintenance has two parts. One is the routine stuff. Among these tasks include check and balance the pH, backwash the filter, and clean the filter inlet. The other set includes contingencies such as clean up after a rain storm or refill after a long dry spell.

A reminder app or task manager app can help for the first set. You have to handle the second yourself.

You may want an app to keep a log of the health of your pool. You may want an app to help tweak the amounts of chemicals to better than “stick your thumb up and judge it” precision. The recommendations from @Wilson_Ng are excellent in this case.

I recommend getting to know the local pool service company. They may be glad to do a first maintenance check and How-To tutorial with you as an introduction service. Unlike @Wilson_Ng, I was always cautious about using the Home Depot brand chemicals as a reliable substitute for what might be considered as the professional brands. I strongly agree with his comment that sometimes you will have to call in the professionals (so get to know them with the introductory visit).

Finally, always remember to check twice that you don’t do something silly such as confusing sidewall cleaner for pH balance (speaking from experience :roll_eyes:).

JJW

1 Like

Yeah, I know. But they’re the only ones in my little community that stock pool chemicals. Sigh…

Once you get the hang of things, create a project or checklist in your task manager with all the repeating tasks. Checklists are a lifesaver.

2 Likes