Recommendation for simple iOS podcast microphone

I don’t want anything fancy, I’ve got Feerite which is great but my $10 lavier mic is rubbish.

What would be a good sub $75 upgrade?

Thanks

So you’re looking for something with a base/stand, and you don’t need/want a mixer or audio interface?

Blue Snowball iCE is $50

Samson Meteor is $60

Shure MV5 is usually around $85.

Also see Jason Snell’s article about sub-$100 podcasting:

2 Likes

What interface does the planned recording iOS device have; Lightning or USB-C?

A USB mic would likely work in either case but you will probably need an adapter the provides pass through power and an external power source depending on the current needs of the mic.

3 Likes

Another good option I just learned about from a deals-site: B&H has a Samson handheld dynamic/cardoid mic with base, cables, and crane arm for attaching to a desk, for $69.95. (They have the same package without the crane arm for $10 less.)

2 Likes

Thanks that’s great I’ll check these out. It’s lightning but I can get the usb adaptor

I have four of these. Frequently available $50 or less…

• USB & XLR Outputs
  • 1/8" (3.5mm) Headphone Connection
  • Cardioid Polar Pattern
  • Dynamic Transducer
1 Like

I’m currently using a Røde VideoMicro. You just need a TRS-TTRS adapter to connect it to your iOS device. I bought it because I also shoot video and it’s compact I can do recording anywhere.

I have it plugged into my iPad Pro with a USB-C to 3.5mm jack with Ferrite Pro. I also suggest you get Brusfri app to help reduce noise on your recording.