Recommendations for a mechanical keyboard?

A nice thing about hot-swappable switches is that the whole board doesn’t need to be the same switch. My spacebar and modifier keys are blue-like clicky, while my alphabeticals are brown-like tactile.

To that end, visiting sites like https://kbdfans.com/ is probably ill-advised…

2 Likes

I’ve had my eyes on the Keychron K2 for quite a while.

I’ve seen a number of people talk about the keyboard being quite high and requiring a wrist rest when using it. Anyone have experience with this?

It seems to be the same height as the K8 I have and I have to use that with a wrist rest (as I like it being tilted up. If the keyboard is used flat then I don’t need to.

I’ve been using the K2 for several months. This is all personal preferences, but I needed the wrist rest. I would’ve found it unusable without.

fwiw, I also added double-O-rings (unbranded cheap from Amazon) which reduced the sound and softened the feel of each keypress.

3 Likes

I am wondering, @ryanjamurphy: Are there any words of praise or caution, regarding the Planck? I currently use the Keychron K3 with the red switches and thanks to Karabiner Elements already use the concept of layers (raising/lowering). I wonder if the ortholinear layout really does make a difference and if there is something else or not so obvious that might be worth the change or if it is only my longing for something new and shiny… :wink:

Sorry for the delayed reply! I did not end up sticking with the Planck. Story’s over here:

I have been enjoying my Drop ALT for many months now.

2 Likes

I have the Moonlander keyboard. I do not think the ortholinear layout really adds anything to the mix, just something new to learn, but my hands do not feel any less tired on it. I do think having a split keyboard does make an ergonomic difference. My first split keyboard is the ultimate hacking keyboard . It does not have an ortholinear layout. It is a solid build and I still use it occasionally. But, the Moonlander allows for more customization, so it is my regular keyboard. I have had to “move” standard keys around - return, shift, space.

As for typing speed, I am not very fast 40-50 wpm, so I did not notice much difference between a regular Dvorak keyboard and the split keyboard, except my hands are less tired.

1 Like

I’m eyeing the Keychron Q1, but preferably with a CSA layout.

I don’t believe they sell that particular layout on the Keychron website. Where else could I buy it?

Any mechanical keyboard with QMK firmware is programmable to whatever key layout you want, as long as there are physical keys in the right places. If you could remap another keyboard to have the letters/etc. where you wanted them, would that work?

Maybe something like this?

1 Like

The Q1 has QMK as well. And thus can be remapped.

And presumably removable keycaps. :smiley: The only problem comes when you need to do something like put “Shift” on a 1-space key, and the only keycap you have is 1.5 or 1.75 or something like that.

In which case, @Ojanostra might want to check out:

where they have keycaps in all the sizes you could ever need, and will even make custom ones for whatever function you need on whatever size key.

1 Like

It’s also worth noting that for some keycap styles, the profile of the keycaps are different depending on which row they are on.

If you don’t look at the keys when typing, it really doesn’t matter what they say on them, as @webwalrus noted, as long as they are in the correct position. A classic example is the ANSI/ISO return/enter key.

Here are some profiles:

2 Likes

Ah, crap, forgot about that. I went to straight-up DSA keycaps for everything a ways back. :slight_smile: That said, a set of super-basic DSA or XDA caps can be had on Amazon for $20-$30 if that’s a challenge. Or fancier ones on PimpMyKeyboard, obviously.

2 Likes

After getting my long-awaited Blade Runner keycap$$$ that cost almost as much as my Drop CTRL, I discovered that I don’t like DSA :sob:

2 Likes

Ugh, that sucks. I like it with switches that have the more stable base (i.e. not just the +, but the reinforcing box or circle around it).

1 Like

I listen to you guys, and say to myself: « Danger, Will Robinson! Steer clear from that rabbit hole! » But the lure of the thock is hard to resist. :wink:

2 Likes

I like the contours of e.g. SA that give a little more feedback of where my fingers are, and where they’ve landed.
The Q10 has what Keychron is calling an OSA profile, which is OEM height, with the SA shape.

And just to add, keycaps with sculpted profiles complicate things when you want to move them around to match alternate layouts, like Dvorak, Coleman, Colemak, Workman, etc. So maybe blank keycaps are the answer. Or maybe a clear set.

That looks like a nice keyboard. It seems to be pretty much the same as the Q10 Alice I have, with a conventional staggered layout. Maybe get the knob version just for giggles :slight_smile:

A couple more rabbit holes:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/

https://www.reddit.com/r/mechanicalheadpens/

Or as the later says, “Wallet Bermuda Triangle Hobbies.”

There are plenty of enthusiasts there to help you stimulate the economy.

Here is a beautiful click-y keyboard designed for Mac. This one is plain white, which appeals to me, but Varmilo also has colorful “pretty” designs, if that is your style.

Ping me if/when this conversation swings round to split ergo mechs, and I’ll return to wax lyrical about how much I love my wireless Corne keyboard… :nerd_face:

3 Likes

I was looking at Corne, but I’m just too used to having all the spacebars and modifier keys under my thumbs. Is there a standard layout that you use that you could link up? I’ve always been curious how Mac people use it. :slight_smile: