Recommendations for a mechanical keyboard?

Far as I understand, they’re all QMK boards. QMK is like an OS for the keyboard—you can reprogram it at the firmware level. My modifier key caps don’t have anything printed on them.

I have a Drop Alt and love it. I had and sold three or four other boards but I’ve been settled now for a year or so.

@JohnAtl I take it you’ve dropped the Moonlander then?

2 Likes

I don’t even use Karabiner. Apple allows the switching of the CMD and Option key and that’s literally the only change I make.

2 Likes

Yes. It has been inducted into my Museum of Well-Intentioned Keyboards (closet).

It did help my RSI issues, but it may have helped because it slowed some things down, like chording. Typing words was fine.

2 Likes

Yes, they use Cherry MX switches (and other brands that use the same stem style), so you can get hundreds of different keycap sets from various venders. I’m a Blade Runner fan, so have a set of BR key caps from Pimp My Keyboard .

3 Likes

I just got the Keychron K2 (v2) and I’m loving it.

I thought I’d need some time to get used, but 15min using and It feels natural already.

3 Likes

I have been using a Varmilo/Ducky MIYA Pro with cherry brown as my entry to mechanical keyboards.

The on board access to the media controls is a little clumsy so I used Better Touch Tool to map new shortcuts for the media keys.

Overall very happy with this keyboard and will probably be sticking with it for a while.

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/44572/ducky-miya-pro-mac-mechanical-keyboard-cherry-brown

3 Likes

Welcome!

That looks like a nice layout, especially with the arrow keys skootched over under the shift key, and the elimination of Home and End.

Congrats! I am so looking forward to having this on my desk. I really hope that it’s available soon again. I’m on the waiting list but haven’t heard anything so far.

Out of curiosity: what’s your experience with the battery life of the k3, with regards to daily usage?

Any interest in selling?

Yeah, this is really good especially the Mac specific “function” keys such as volume, Mission Control, etc.

I have both a Windows and a Mac and having the ability to easily to press Fn+1 to connect to the Mac and Fn+2 to connect to the Windows machine made this the best KVM out there!

1 Like

The battery life is quite good. After 10 minutes of Bluetooth inactivity, it shuts itself off. Sometimes reconnecting is an issue, but what Bluetooth technology works like we want it :slight_smile:

When I start working away from the home office, I look forward to really testing its battery.

1 Like

Thanks a bunch, really looking forward to it. :slight_smile:

Got this beauty set up today. Given to me by a friend, brand new in the box. An Apple Extended Keyboard II, Copyright 1995 by Apple Computer.

I bought an ADB to USB adapter from TinkerBoy, and it actually works! It feels really nice too. Definitely a lot quieter than the clicky MX Blues on my other keyboards.

There are a couple of oddities about the board:

• Locking capslock - which I usually use for a Hyper key when held, or to launch Alfred when tapped. If you tap it lightly, it will work without latching.
  • The little pips that are now normally on the F and J keys are on the D and K keys, which will take some getting used to.
  • The power button sends a keycode 7,102 that seems to be ignored.

It says Assembled in USA, and the switch stems are white, so not sure if the switches are Alps or Mitsumi.

8 Likes

Did you buy this on eBay?

Very nice! And it does not seem like the color has faded or anything. What a great find! Congratulations!!

1 Like

For anyone else maybe waiting for a K3: I reached out to their support and just got the answer that they are looking to restock more K3’s in the following two weeks.

1 Like

Just an update on the Keychron. I LOVE IT! This is one of the best keyboards ever. I bought a used Keychron K1 V2 for my home office and it seems to work just as well and since it was used it was very budget friendly. However, I hate the keycaps. It came with these flat keycaps and I want to replace them with keycaps like the V4 came with but they are not compatible. I have been searching online trying to find some compatible caps but as it turns out, this is no easy feat. I have the blue switches so I was going to cannibalize a cheap gaming keyboard that I bought but it turns out not only are the switches a different pattern but the scissor mechanisms are all different too. Has anyone run into this? Does anyone else have suggestions for keycaps for the Keychron K1 V2? I will update this later with pictures of the different switches if I need to.

1 Like

Welcome to the bewildering (and sometimes expensive) world of keycaps!
Does your keyboard have Gateron blue switches? It looks like the stems are the same as Cherry MX switches, which are ubiquitous. If so, there are hundreds of keycaps available. I bought mine at PimpMyKeyboard.com
They are very helpful if you contact them with questions.

https://pimpmykeyboard.com

Sorry, just saw that I missed your message. It was a gift from a friend who bought it new.

Nice! Thanks for the reply.

1 Like