Recommendations for mind mapping other than MindNode

Ouch! Thanks ……………….

I use both Miro and iThoughtsX. While the free version of Miro is absolutely great, I did find that the “consultant” plan hits a sweet spot for me and improves the whole service even more.

Ok, my first reaction was: /me is skeptical, probably another tool like… Not even ten minutes into the website: how can I justify the purchase :joy: Now, while replying my brain goes: how can you justify not investing in this tool. I think I need to meditate.

2 Likes

Same!

(Hey Discourse, the body is clear, get over yourself.)
1 Like

@JohnAtl @woody Go for it. You won’t regret it. But also get Wolf McNally’s (free) short books on using Flying Logic.

5 Likes

Miro gets a big :+1: from me too. I was really surprised by how many different tools are available! Reminds me of the recent Note taking app explosion.
I would love for our MPU hosts to look beyond MindMode and check out some of these other tools as well

1 Like

Another recommendation to check out Curio, as long as you don’t need it on iPad. It took me two tries, a couple years apart, for it to really grok with me. It’s an open-ended mind map and brainstorming tool, that everybody uses a bit differently, it seems. I’ve been using it to force myself to tap into the visual side of my brain with brain dumps and mind maps, which I normally don’t do, but I’ve also used it to test out making a dashboard of projects.

2 Likes

One other good thing about Curio - a fabulously responsive developer

5 Likes

I know I’ve left you all in suspense while I search for a new tool but wait no more! I’ve gone with Ithoughts.
Each of the above suggestions were gems but the prices are more than I want to spend. Ithoughts looked like it gave the best ROI for my needs. Thank you all for the feedback

7 Likes

I have looked at Curio twice. The thing that always stops me from moving forward is all of the tweaking that I see that people do on YouTube or screencastonline with the program. The last thing I need for my productivity is more tweaking with which to take up my time. I also prefer programs that are available on both the Mac and the iPad so I have maximum versatility. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

One person’s “tweaking” is another’s creativity.

Curio is a blank canvas. Whatever one does with it is the result of using the large inventory of features to create the result one wants. No different than any other creative app.

1 Like

Point taken. :blush: but the lack of a mobile app is a show stopper for me.

Would you like to share what issues you encountered? I’m currently working on a complete redesign of the styling/theming in the app so any input in what you are missing and what aspects other apps solve better would be very appreciated. Thank you!

3 Likes

ScreenCasts Online has some good videos about iThoughts if you’re interested.

2 Likes

I’ve been working with it for awhile now and think I’ve got the basics down. It’s a bit clunky but very flexible.

xmind has all the bells and whistles.

2 Likes

Try Whimsical. Also has flowcharts. Not a Mac app but works well on iPad in safari.