Recommendations for mind mapping other than MindNode

I’ve been using MindNode for awhile and I feel like I want something more powerful/flexible.
MindNode is certainly easy to use but many times I want to create themes that MN is just not made for.
I’ve looked briefly at MindMaster and it seems to have a lot of the additional functionality I’m looking for.
Any thoughts or recommendations for a Mac app (iPad would be nice to have as well)?
Thanks in advance

1 Like

iThoughts is another option

6 Likes

I really like Scapple. It’s simple. Options for dressing things up are somewhat limited, and I find that leads to my using to mind map and not worry so much about colors, fonts, etc.
Of course, that may be what you are looking for.

3 Likes

There is SimpleMind, available for iPad as well as Mac. The basic version is free.

1 Like

+1 for iThoughts. Excellent Mac and iOS/iPadOS apps. Also included with Setapp.

1 Like

Another vote for iThoughts. Powerful, non-subscription and actively maintained.

2 Likes

I’m looking for flexibility in being able to create not only mind maps, I also want to be able to create process flows, charts and a dashboard of projects I’m working on.
Just to add a bit of context, I’m a sales manager and often map out a new lead management process and present it to colleagues or management etc. My task manager of choice is OF

Another longstanding member of Team iThoughts here. It works on and syncs between iOS and Mac. Release notes here: https://www.toketaware.com/blog; free trial available from the home page.

Suites that combine mind mapping with process mapping usually command a premium. Two possibilities come to mind: ConceptDraw and Corel Mindmanager. I own both – but do not recommend Corel products because their support is very lacking, and Mindmanager is really a Windows product with a half-hearted Mac version. The folks at ConceptDraw are very helpful.

Instead of an app package for the desktop and iPad, you might want to consider the many web-based diagramming / process solutions that work on both platforms. I’ve had a Lucidchart subscription since it launched, and have used it for professional work with good results.

1 Like

Perhaps OmniGraffle would be a good fit.

2 Likes

. I was drifting towards mindmanager - Thanks for the feedback. You weren’t kidding about that “premium!!”
I’ll take a closer look at ithoughts and mindmaster😎

FYI, iMindMap (now Ayoa) was terrible in my experience. Unusably slow and buggy. $$$ → :toilet:

2 Likes

Another tool that looks like a mind map but definitely isn’t, is Flying Logic. I am crazy about this tool, despite the cost. Flying Logic’s underlying structure is a graphical implementation of the theory of constraints, but that isn’t a limit on its use. I’ve designed many business processes for clients using Flying Logic.

4 Likes

Wow! I’m not sure I’m smart enough to use Flying Logic! Thanks for the pointer.

Whoa… mind blown… I think the software would uninstall itself if I tried to use it.
BUT… I am going to learn about the Theory of Constraints. Big thank you for that !!

Wow! Designing whiteboard apps for The Big Bang Theory, and The Goal by Eliyahu M. Goldratt in the same presentation. Phenomenal.

1 Like

You might want to look at Curio - it has a decent mind mapping tool and a plethora of planning features that might work for you, including ways to present your ideas to others. There are ways to get tasks out of it and into task mangers, including OmniFocus.

It’s not for everyone, and it takes a while to get your head around it.

4 Likes

It’s so nice to see Theory of Constraints mentioned here since that’s my speciality and I’ve written a handful of books on the topic. (If you’d like one of them free, The Bottleneck Rules, go here: share.toc.guide - it was once the 2nd best selling leadership book on amazon, behind Steven covey, and it’s really short, so it’s not a waste of your time.)

Some of my friends use and love flying logic, but I’ve fallen in love with Miro, the online infinite whiteboard. It’s free for most people and inexpensive for everyone else, and I can’t believe how useful and easy it is to use.

8 Likes

I now use Miro instead of Scapple. It’s kinda like scapple, but it’s much bigger, and it’s surprisingly pleasant to use on Mac AND ipad.

2 Likes

To save you the trouble of creating a ConceptDraw account just to get pricing (grr):

3 Likes