Recommendations on tech for making videos for teaching?

I paid for courses from Ripple Training https://www.rippletraining.com. In my little video the fanfare came out of the royalty-free library in Garage Band and the school logo I clipped from the school website. I never bought any plugins nor did I have a need for Motion. The animation was done in FCP and I dropped it into every project and edited the course name and topic.

1 Like

WAIT! Has Jason Snell approved this?!

1 Like

You can implement a Classroom Assessment Technique. I recommend a five-minute paper. After the students watch the video, have them take a quiz answering one, long-answer question about the video. Give them a timelimit of five minutes.

2 Likes

I’ll keep this approach in mind.

Thanks.

JJW

1 Like

I’d like to “second” a couple of things in this post. I also use Camtasia and really like what it can do. I also recommend shorter videos. 45 minutes of someone teaching, especially if they’re just doing VoiceOver PowerPoint is too much.

1 Like

I have found this true in meetings as well, so have switched to a standing desk with a wobble stool. This allows me to move about a good bit, but keeps me from becoming tired if listening to long presentations.

I wonder if having a smaller online group, with their cameras on during the recording, and encouraging them to ask questions, with the presenter calling on those in attendance, would make for a more interesting final product. A while back, I was in remote training session, and there were constant requests for student input. Knowing that the prof is going to randomly call on someone to answer a question about the material has a fantastic way of increasing attention. :wink:

You may even want to have an auction for who is going to be on the live recording, or just choose your best students by class test average, or some other incentive.

1 Like

Seems like a smart idea to me! There certainly was a difference between the lectures I recorded with a live audience than the ones I did from my home office with nobody present.

How did you make the intro animation! I’m planning on continuing making content after the fall to supplement my course. I’m tempted to make lecture online and lab in person. The unfortunate thing is that I’ll probably have to include some sort of quiz just to make sure students review the video before lab. I’m not sure why it bugs me so much, but I wish they’d do it on their own without points being attached.

I’ve made other screen videos but like @DFullerton mentioned I want to take my game to the next level. I created a welcome video for my course and it literally took me 1.5 to 2 hours for a 3 minute video. I think it took this long because I did so many takes. I also used my sonsy mark rx100 to record. Adding the bloopers at the end didn’t help. I hate sharing my content … but I guess that’s the whole point isn’t it? https://youtu.be/qvK4efo-HKQ

I guess the trick is to go a little beyond just recording me speaking over my slides, but don’t kill my self trying to be like the star YouTube influencers. The weird thing is that my voice has been getting tired and I get vocal fry. I wonder if I’m straining my voice too much while speaking.

My short term goals are:

Work on the tone of my voice and not getting bored (or getting bored with my self)
Getting an external webcam or adapter to use my sony
Learn to edit and add graphics in final cut pro and screen flow

@dfay, how do you set the bright vocal preset in mainstage 3?

1 Like

@dfay never mind, figured out how to apply the preset but it has an echo effect. Makese sense for a concert not for a lecture.

Yeah I turned the echo down, adjusted the EQ, and added a bit more compression as I recall.

This was helpful

1 Like

The intro animations were part of a package of content I had purchased previously from video blocks (now story blocks)… I know there was some work to customize them with my logo (I think I did it in Adobe Premiere and After Effects or Apple Motion), but it’s been too many years for me to remember the details. I do recall the entire project only took a day or two – and was a ton of fun, I just didn’t have time to dive further into special effects as I had to get back to teaching. I’m also sure if someone was more knowledgeable in those video editors, it probably could have been completed in an hour or two. :slight_smile:

Well, that sent me down a rabbit hole :slight_smile:

10 hours later, I now know the basics of how Motion works and I adapted a Title and a Transition to give me something that really suits my style.

It was low on productivity, but great fun producing this.

2 Likes

You teach Phyics? (sic)

1 Like

You wouldn’t believe the sorts of things I’ve taught in the last 3 months…

(I did already change that before deploying, and did you spot that the title has nothing to do with the lesson?)

1 Like

Honestly it was so early I was just fixating on the coffee.

1 Like

Now im tempted to take a look and make my own intro. Maybe i’ll get carried away and make an intro like those 90 sitcoms (ala full house). I can already imagine my students rolling their eyes. H a ha.

Here’s a professor who seems to be a pro at this, no tech or anything fancy, he’s just so good on camera https://vimeo.com/270014784

The guy I linked to posted a video on looking good in an online class. Worth a look https://vimeo.com/andrewishak/onlineclasses1

Never mind, it’s aimed at students.

1 Like

A colleague shared this with me:

Making Your Zoom Look More Professorial from Andrew Ishak on Vimeo.

2 Likes