Recommended monitors?

You’re very welcome, @nplanchon!

Thanks Tim. I am still in limbo! What say you about the difference with HDMI 1.4 (P2715Q) vs HDMI 2.0 (U2718Q)? I found a P2715Q on Craigslist for $325 and am really tempted to get if. If I can!

I am a regular user, no hi def needed or other top notch performance needed. I would love to enjoy it for 5-10 years to come.

Also some reviews I have read surface the bleeding in the corners in a dark room. My perfectionist gets concerned. I do not work in the dark and wonder how much that’ll get in the way. It’s messing with my mind! :slight_smile:

Once again, I appreciate your input and any thoughts you have.
Cordially,
Neil

Just been reading and learning more about HDMI 1.4 and 2.0. Seems that 2.0 is worth having. Yes/No?

I am sure 1.4 (P2715Q) will be good enough for me. 2.0 (U2718Q) will future proof me longer. Am I making sense?

HDMI 2.0 support was one of the things that sold me on the U2718Q. It does make it more future proof. I’m not using this port, but it could be helpful in the future.

If memory serves, the Apple HDMI adapter that I bought for my 2016 MacBook Pro doesn’t support 60Hz at 4K (at 30Hz) is not very usable. So I’m using the DisplayPort and Mini DisplayPort interface instead.

I’ve been happy with both Dell monitors, though have found that the U2718Q is worth the extra money for the improved designed and HDMI 2.0 support.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tim

Hello again. I appreciate you engaging around this topic, Tim. You are helping and I feel I an getting closer to a U2718Q! :thinking:

Another issue which I’ve read about from a handful of reports refer to some, in some cases thought to be unacceptable by the reviewer/consumer, back light bleed. Seen sometimes in corners and/or along edges. This is when ambient light is low or dark.

I make up its not a significant enough issue for most folks, including me.

Have you experienced this?
If so, how distracting is it on a scale of 1-10. 1 being a non issue.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Neil

Hello again. I appreciate you engaging around this topic, Tim. You are helping and I feel I an getting closer to a U2718Q! :thinking:

You’re welcome, Neil.

Another issue which I’ve read about from a handful of reports refer to some, in some cases thought to be unacceptable by the reviewer/consumer, back light bleed. Seen sometimes in corners and/or along edges. This is when ambient light is low or dark.

I haven’t seen any issues with either of my monitors, so don’t have any comments to share on this one.

I purchased both monitors directly from Dell. It ended up being cheaper and, if memory serves, they gave me a better warranty that I would have received purchasing them from Amazon or a box store. Might be worth giving them a call to see what they have to offer.

Cheers,
Tim

Hi Tim. A U2718Q is making its way to me as I write. I use a Mac mini 2018 now. Can you share with me what the best way to connect them is? I’ve read too much, am not tech savvy in this way and you are one of my trusted sources! I look forward to hearing from you when you get a chance! Thank you. Neil

Great to hear your new monitor is on its way!

This cable, or something similar, should do the job:

Thank you. Wonderful. The Dell specs say it comes with a 1 x mDP-DP cable which I believe will fit my Mac mini. How does your solution differ, Tim?

You’re welcome, Neil. This cable should allow you to plug your monitor into the Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) port on your Mac mini. Come to think of it, a better option would be to use the HDMI 2.0 port…as long as it support 60 Hz at 4K (which I imagine it did). In this case you should be able to use any good-quality HDMI cable.

Hi Tim

Turns out Mac mini 2018 does NOT have a mini DisplayPort. Only USB-C and HDMI. I mispoke.

:slight_smile: Dell U2718Q has arrived (23" Apple Cinema Display to 27" Dell 4K) is quite a leap!) and is presently connected to Mac mini using HDMI - HDMI cable. Both Mac mini and U2718Q are HDMI 2.0 equipped according to their specs. Since more screen, better performance and future proofing were purchase motivators, I would like to maximize performance.

Some reading indicates that DisplayPort has as standard refresh 60hz - which I understand to being easier on some eyes and brains. I am not sure how important that is to me at this time, and I am not sure that I am “getting” 60hz with HDMI-HDMI right now.

1. How does one check what the current refresh rate is?

In case I do decide to switch to using USB-C to DisplayPort…

1. You mentioned 2 slightly different manufacturer for the USB-C to DisplayPort. One has a push button locking mechanism (Cable Matters). The other did not (Uni) Is it best to have the locking mechanism in your humble opinion?

2. I also understand they are different kinds of HDMI cables!! I’ve got a bunch and not seeing any differences between them. Am thinking none of them are. Got tips?

Cordially,
Neil

Great to hear your monitor arrived!

1. There should be an on-screen display of the refresh rate. Maybe check the manual on this one. If you’re using 30 Hz scrolling (e.g. a document or webpage) will be less than optimum.
  2. I like the locking connector, though it’s certainly not essential. And it takes a bit of practice to get use to unlocking.
  3. I don’t think it makes much of a difference. Though, I’m not an expert on HDMI cables.

I hope this helps!

The 5K UltraFine is back, and now is “just” USB-C and doesn’t require Thunderbolt.

3 Likes

I have a pair of these monitors. V good.