Recommended Obsidian Tutorial or Course

Please share your recommendations for learning how to take advantage of Obsidian. I am looking for a tutorial or a course beyond the basics (Markdown, tags, themes).

Nick Miloā€™s Obsidian-specific videos are well produced and engaging for Obsidian users at all levels. Check his library for Obsidian videos at:

Not all of Nickā€™s videos relate to Obsidian.

For those who want to go deeper into note taking ā€“ not specific to Obsidiain ā€“ Nick has his LYT workshop. (Note: $$$)

Other good videos are:

And the whole playlist from Effective Remote Work by @justindirose

(Justin also has a paid course on note taking ā€“ for Obsidian and other users.)

5 Likes

LYT is not an Obsidian workshop per se but a framework to organize your thinking and build your PKM. Itā€™s great (took it, absolutely loved it) and Nick uses Obsidian himself but the principles can be used in Roam, Craft, etc. For a pure technical Obsidian course thatā€™s maybe not the best bet.

I know. See my post.

What is the cost for the LYT course ?

It has evolved a little, I would recommend watching @anon41602260ā€™s link.

Last I saw, it was over $900.

1 Like

Nick offers a ā€œmoney back guaranteeā€.

Some additional Obsidian resources, from Eleanor Konickā€™s invaluable Obsidian Roundup weekly posting. I recommend subscribing to Eleanorā€™s newsletter (donation) to keep abreast of important changes to plugins, features, workshops, etc.

3 Likes

Nick has mentioned that he offers some scholarships. At the same time, much work goes into this high-quality course, so if it interests you and you can afford to pay, I would recommend doing so.

And from the sweetsetup: Coming Next Week: To Obsidian and Beyond (Brand-New Course) ā€“ The Sweet Setup

1 Like

How much: Just $149

Coming Next Week: To Obsidian and Beyond (Brand-New Course) ā€“ The Sweet Setup

:open_mouth:
Capitalizing on the hype?

2 Likes

You can get the Obsidian course for $100 if you buy their workshop and then get the course for ā€˜freeā€™ next week. It used to be $75. Zero to Obsidian ā€” Everything you need to get up and running with Obsidian.

FWIW, I took the ā€œZero to Obsidianā€ course from The Sweet Setup (which is the precursor to their new course) and found it incredibly valuable.

(And I say that as someone who has had mixed results with TSS stuff in the past.)

Iā€™m really looking forward to their full course. And while $150 isnā€™t cheap, I think itā€™s well worth it. They also offer a money-back guarantee, and Iā€™ve used it once or twice when Iā€™ve bought something that just did not ā€œclickā€ with me, and can say that they honored their guarantee with no hassle at all.

2 Likes

They can save you a huge amount of time watching youtube videos. Itā€™s fun playing around and learning, but not everyone wants that.

Iā€™m wondering if thatā€™s a little tincy bit cynical?

Iā€™m sure they see it as helping people.

It takes a huge amount of effort (and risk) to put together a course.

1 Like

Do you think, perhaps, that theyā€™re not trying to help you or people like you?

Oh, I think we disagree lots.

They help people with a lot of free stuff.
And they charge for some stuff.

Iā€™m very happy if they make a living helping people who are happy to pay for it.
I also enjoy reading their blog.

I think they do a brilliant job of helping people, sometimes for free, sometimes paid. Itā€™s how they make the living and, for a lot of people, the free stuff is brilliant and for others the paid stuff is brilliant too.

I make my living in a similar manner. It takes a huge amount of work to provide useful free stuff and even more to effort to creat useful, paid stuff.

If you do poor free stuff or poor paid stuff, you starve.

What a bizarre discussion. You can genuinely want to help people and still want make a living doing something you care about. These things are not incompatible. I think Steve Jobs genuinely wanted to make formidable tools to usher people into a new era of technology, and that remains something Apple is attached to today. Doesnā€™t prevent them from making money.

More generally, artists create the work they care about (hopefully) and still hope to not starve in the process and therefore market themselves and sell their work.

(And Iā€™m saying this not caring much for the turn TSS has taken in recent years)

3 Likes

The artist part was about the principle itself in a general manner, not about TSS (no offense to them but it would be indeed a stretch to call them artists)

Completely disagree. I donā€™t find that to be an issue at all. In fact, it seems like the most reasonable and reliable way go.

A review site is perhaps the best place to find people who, having used a wide variety of software, settle on what they find to be the best software.

Having used it, and having learned what each is capable of, they find something great and start to use it.

They grow proficient at it.

They become experts at using it.

They share that expertise.

They get paid for it.

Now, if someone goes to people at The Sweet Setup and says ā€œI want you to make a course about our softwareā€ that needs to be disclosed and made clear to people. Does that mean they shouldnā€™t get paid for it? Not at all. They might get paid by the developers who requested it, or they might not. Either way, I want to learn from people who know what theyā€™re talking about, and I want to get advice from people who know what all of the available options are.

Because I donā€™t have the time or energy to test it all out myself.

3 Likes