Reliable iOS mail client recommendations

I’ve always used native Mail app, but the iOS 13 version is terrible. I’m a Fastmail user, so I’m going to try using their app full time.

I don’t know if you would even consider this, but I have used Yahoo Mail Pro for many years and have been pretty happy with it.

However, even if you just got a free Yahoo account and never used it, I think you can then use the Yahoo Mail app which is excellent on iOS and the web based version on the Mac is pretty good too.

Not sure what all you are looking for in an email platform, but this is very robust. Supports both POP3 and IMAP, multiple accounts and a host of customizable settings and features.

It’s at least worth a look if you haven’t already checked it out/

I keep wanting to change to another platform because “the grass must be greener elsewhere” - but when it comes down to it, I am completely satisfied where I am and have no reason to change.

I’ve used Outlook for iOS, Apple Mail, Spark and AirMail and they are all decent, but I still keep going back to Yahoo Mail. It just is the best all around option for me.

1 Like

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions on this.

I think my two main conclusions are…

• The iOS 13 mail client is a bit of a dumpster fire at the moment (if I’m understanding US colloquialisms correctly)
  • There is no perfect replacement and the way you go depends on the compromises you are prepared to make.

I did like the suggestion to go without using mail at all on iOS, but unfortunately I quite often travel these days with just an iPad and a phone so I really do need something.

The compromise that I’m personally hoping to make is towards the dull, but dependable end of the spectrum (the Toyota of email clients if you like). Previously Apple’s mail app has fulfilled this role, but I think they’ve made a misstep with iOS 13.

I’m getting by with Outlook for now, but it’s not my favourite so I’ll probably switch back to Apple’s offering if and when they fix some of the bugs.

Failing that I’ll take a look at some of the other suggestions in this thread including Canary and Yahoo which I’ve not tried previously.

I entered the Apple ecosystem in 2011 when I switched from Windows to Mac because I was fed up with the number of problems I had with the former and the latter “just worked” (well at least it did most of the time). Ironic that 8 years later I’ve now switched from an Apple mail client to Microsoft for exactly them same reason !

2 Likes

Apple Mail will be updated to work as intended.

If privacy is not essential, Spark is a clear winner. If you are willing to compromise on features but not on privacy, Canarymail is the only app outside of Apple Mail that keeps your credentials on your device (if you turn off push notifications).

This is actually sad for me to hear about Apple Mal in iOS.

While I am a long-time Yahoo Mail user, @MacSparky had convinced me that switching to Apple Mail would be a good move. I would lose some features that Yahoo Mail has but would gain all of the features Apple Mail benefits from by being integrated into the OS.

Now I think I will just stay put with Yahoo Mail…or I may run them both as a direct comparison.

I was also a long-time Windows user prior to migrating to macOS about six months ago. As such, I also used, and became extremely familiar with, Office,and later Office 365.

I still use Office 365 on my Mac and I prefer using the desktop version of Outlook as my email client, although I just don’t care for the iOS version of Outlook.

Using either my Yahoo email account or my personal domain, I can keep both Outlook and my webmail client in sync. However if I should eventually fully switch to Apple Mail and the Apple email client, I’m not quite sure how I sync my Outlook desktop client with my Apple iOS client. I’m sure there must be a way to do it, but I just don’t know how to do it at this point.

1 Like

I thought I was the only one using the Yahoo Mail app! It’s not perfect but it’s very serviceable. (I’m using it in conjunction with the Pro subscription tier.)

The iOS app is frequently updated, although I’m not always crazy about some new features you cannot switch off (like new floating alerts when you get a ship-notice email from Amazon, which can only be dismissed).

I find Outlook to be best mainstream alternative. It def works best with Exchange, but is just fine with IMAP as well.

One positive the dark mode in Outlook is light years better than Mail.app if you like dark mode.

Yahoo Mail is a privacy nightmare. They suffered serious data breaches, scanned their user’s emails (maybe still do) and their current privacy policy is also not great.

Nearly all webmail clients have serious security issues. Apple Mail is one of the only decent options unless you have a domain hosting service. Some of the webmail clients they provide are pretty good, however they are only available if you are a client of their hosting.

Of the major commercial options, Gmail, Outlook and Yahoo are all seriously lacking if security is important to you.

When I need to use secure email, I use my personal domain and encrypt my messages in the desktop version of Outlook!

Canary Mail is a nice secure option on iOS.

Of course, the truly secure option is a service like Proton Mail or Tutanota and all the other jazz like VPN, secure computer etc.

I agree re: the shipment tracking cards for Amazon orders. The idea is nice, but the implementation is pretty awkward.

I also have been using the Pro tier for about a decade now. I got tired of having to change email addresses every time my ISP changed.

Today, my ISP is pretty settled as their aren’t a lot of quality cable ISP choices. But back in the dial-up era, it seems like I always had a different provider. The service was terrible and I kept switching hoping to find one that was ”good”. Never happened until I finally ended up on Comcast. Still don’t like the company much, but the ISP service has been excellent!

They had serious issues under previous ownership several years ago, true. The paid email tier offers privacy an no ads (unlike gmail). And I don’t know of any large-scale free email service that doesn’t scan and target or sell anonymized data, aside from Apple. (And .me email has its own issues)

Never tried Canarymail. I heard it has a kind of “bare bones” UI.

I really think I will give Apple Mail a try once they get some of the bugs squashed. It’s pretty basic compared to what I’m used to, but hopefully I can find some extensions that will make it at least serviceable. We’ll see!

I’m amazed at the masses who still use Gmail. Google doesn’t even pretend to offer user security. They clearly tell users in their EULA and TOS that they are monitoring all use of their services - allegedly for targeted marketing! But still millions of users love Gmail and all of Googles other ”free” services.

1 Like

Same here. All my (many) personal domain email flows into Yahoomail, and I make heavy use of alt email addresses that look nothing like my main yahoo address.

(I also have a grandfathered-in free Gsuite email account, and occasionally use my .me/.icloud email)

With that Gsuite email, does it still reside on Googles email servers or do you choose your own server when you purchase the plan?

I don’t trust Google at all…but that is a personal decision!

I know only about two iOS mail apps that do not share your credentials (meaning they do not leave your device). Apple Mail and Canary Mail. All other apps I know of do it. Canary Mail has more features so I am currently trying it. However, Canary Mail had some technical issues in the past and a lot of people were not happy about their customer support. But the new version looks good so far and I hope I will be able to stick with it.

1 Like

I may take a look at it. I am curious now.

Yeah, the disposable addresses, as Yahoo calls them, are a great tool to use when trying to avoid spam. And their default spam filter is surprisingly good.

It’s not as good as something like Spam Sieve, but for a free, built-in filter I find it does a quite good job.

Turn off push notifications and you should have a decently private mail app :slight_smile:

We’ve discussed this previously. Check out this thread:

1 Like